One Song, 33 Amps! (amp collection tour/walkthrough added!)

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
Thank you!!

Here's the next episode: this one features the Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, a very cool UK made Marshall with a lot of character and some great tonal options. Maybe these amps weren't so popular back in the day, I'm not sure, but I know that a lot of people like these amps nowadays, and I'm one of them! The high-gain tones on this amp aren't super modern and tight but they have a nice thick saturation with plenty of gain. A boost pedal can certainly turn these amps into metal monsters. The clean tones are good albeit a little bright, nothing that can't be fixed with some eq. The crunch tones are really nice on this amp as well! I never use the scooped tone shift voicing but the deep control certainly is useful. Here's the episode,

Hey folks, a little update:

I was planning on releasing the BIG 6.5 hour long 'One Song, 33 Amps!' compilation yesterday but at the last minute I discovered a pretty big error that I had to fix. So I had to go back and re-render the video. That took about a day and now I'm reuploading that video which will take a couple more days unfortunately. So I figured, while it's uploading we'd have some fun and check out some more amps!

Today we're looking at the wonderful Orange Rockerverb 50 MK III. SUCH a serious amp! Absolutely love this thing. I think the tones speak for themselves:

Which amp would you like to see next? Blackstar HT CLUB 50 MK II? Marshall JMP-1? Orange Brent Hinds? Peavey 6505MH? One of these perhaps?

The upload for the big video is at 50%. I hope it will be ready for release on sunday. Fingers crossed!

In the meantime, here's the episode with the Peavey 6505 MH! This amp is really cool and it replicates the sound of the big amps quite well. It doesn't sound exactly the same but it definitely still sounds like a 6505! Great cleans and all the driven tones are great too imho! The clean on this small one are even better than the cleans on the big 6505 imho! Check it out:

Here's the next episode. This one features the Blackstar HT Club 50 MK II! A very cool amp with a broad tonal palette!

It's here: the BIGGEST guitar amp demo video in human history! 'One Song, 33 Amps!'. I've worked on this project for over a month and I'm so excited and relieved to finally be sharing this with the world. I sincerely hope that you get enjoyment out of it and perhaps also some new knowledge about guitar amps and their tones in a recording/studio setting.

All the amps can be heard with clean, crunch, rock, solo lead and boosted metal tones and I've included detailed timecodes in the description for easy skipping between the amps. Enjoy and ROCK!

I've prepared a little FAQ. Questions get answered here that people tend to ask a lot about these big amp demo compilations:

FAQ:

-Why am I not using the same IR for each amp?

I'm aware that there are multiple ways to do these sort of videos. This wasn't meant as a direct 'scientific' comparison per se. I just wanted to make a song with a wide sonic palette (so with clean, crunch, rock, solo and metal tones) so we could see how all the songs perform in this context. I've done more actual comparisons in the past that did use the same IR for each amp so if you want this to be more like a 'test', feel free to watch those videos. A couple disadvantages of using the same IR are that 1. people say the amps all sound the same 2. it's simply boring. It's much more interesting to hear the amps paired up with cabs/speakers that they actually feel 'comfortable' with. People are going to use their own cabs or IRs anyway. However, I still think that this video can be a great way to compare the amps as to how they all function in the context of this song. Just be aware that the overall frequency curve of the amps might vary a little when you compare them directly.

-Why do all the amps sound the same?

I personally don't think they sound the same at all! Sure, there are some amps that sound similar to one another but there are some pretty drastic differences between most of them imho. You as the listener/watcher/observer just have to be aware that you're listening to the same guitar, pickups, performer and performance each time. It's also the same signal chain and the same engineer for each amps. So there are bound to be similarities, that's just how it is. To get the best results please try to listen on proper studio monitors/speakers or headphones and not on a phone or laptop speaker. Trust me, that will tell you almost nothing, especially when it comes to comparing the sonic signatures of the amps.

-Why did you use a boost pedal for all the metal sections?

Well, a lot of people like to boost their amps for metal because it can help to tighten things up and make them sound more aggressive, especially with low-tuned guitars. So this is for them! However, if you want to hear high gain rhythm tones without a boost, just check out the 'rock' sections since those riffs are already pretty metal imho.

-What's your favorite amp?

Well, I'm lucky that I don't have to choose because I own all of them. All of the amps do their own thing so they all have their strengths for certain styles/genres/tones. If you're looking at the features it all depends on what you desire from an amp. If you dig simplicity some of the Marshalls might do it for you, or the Oranges. If you need an amp that 'does it all', perhaps the Grandmeister Deluxe 40 or JVM410H does it for you. In my case these factors don't really matter so I like all of the amps for what they are. They each have their place in my sonic library of tones. Like an Axe Fx but then in real life. Pretty sweet! If you ask me this question but for a specific genre or style, I might be able to give you a better answer! :)

Brilliant. Thank you so much for the incredible amount of work that goes into things like this, I've enjoyed your videos very much.

I don't know how you guys do it and maintain such a great attitude. It seems no matter what you do a bunch of cowardly trolls come along and criticise something or everything that you've presented. I get annoyed on behalf of the content creator, so hats off to you mate. ?

You are an internet legend dude!! Thank you very much for all the content and hard work you put out for us. You've made money for Ownhammer, EVH and Orange with your videos from me personally. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year Jon!

Brilliant. Thank you so much for the incredible amount of work that goes into things like this, I've enjoyed your videos very much.

I don't know how you guys do it and maintain such a great attitude. It seems no matter what you do a bunch of cowardly trolls come along and criticise something or everything that you've presented. I get annoyed on behalf of the content creator, so hats off to you mate. ?

Thanks for your comments, I really appreciate it! You're right about the trolls and sometimes it's a shame but I guess it's just the way it is. I really enjoy engaging with people and talking gear, here and in the comments etc. But I prefer it when people stay reasonable and calm haha! I have to say though, most people have been really nice and supportive so far! :)

You are an internet legend dude!! Thank you very much for all the content and hard work you put out for us. You've made money for Ownhammer, EVH and Orange with your videos from me personally. Happy Holidays and Happy New Year Jon!

Thanks so much, that means a lot! Happy holidays to you too!

Here's another one, the Orange Brent Hinds Terror!

It may look the same as the Rocker 15 Terror but this thing has a very raw and more vintage tone to it. The natural or clean channel sounds very pure, great for pedals and the drive channel is really similar to a pissed off vintage Marshall amp. Very cool indeed! Compare it to 32 other amps in the main comparison as posted above!

The OR15 is a cool looking Orange lunchbox amp. 15 watts and only one channel but surprisingly versatile. The clean and crunch tones are great (typical Orange) but it has quite a lot of gain on tap so it can do metal as well. Same PCB as the Jim Root but with a different flavor. More vintage and 'fizzy' (the good fizz). Check it out:

I love the the awesome and classic Marshall JMP-1, that I always run through the poweramp of my DSL 50 JCM 2000. There's something special about this amp. The mids are just so solid! It's pretty tight and chunky. It almost sounds kind of Friedman-y. That more compact and solid crunch. I guess Friedmans are mainly based on that 80s rock tone that we all know and love so it does make sense. Anyway, really enjoyed this one, the JMP-1. Don't forget that you can compare this amp to all other 32 amps in the main compilation video above!

Check out this new amp collection tour where I talk about all my amps. What I like about them, what sounds they do well etc.

Yeah very unique mids on the JMP, kinda cool as a colour. Great work again man, I can only imagine the hours that go into these vidoes.

Thank you! Yeah, love the mids on the JMP-1!

Back