OPINION: Newer Charvels are not very good. Neither are SD JBs

I just got a Paul copy with the JB in the bridge. It's definitely got some output but i didn't find it more or any less usable than a 498t or a Custom 5. The high end it has seems to help when the volume comes up. Iit still retains clarity. It's definitely honkier than the other two I mentioned, at least, through my rig.
The one thing i really like in my San Dimas are the Seymour Duncan JB’s, my favorite humbucker set. Super nice sound for metal for me and for rock n and blues. I’m trying to like the Tone Zone in my new Ibanez Prestige but it’s notably different than the JB’s and will necessitate some eq changes on my amps, which are a Marshall JVM and Blackstar Club 40

I put a custom 5 in the bridge of mine. Originally had full shred in it and good God it was one of 3 times I couldn't work with a pickup. Palm mutes felt like single coils. Now I'm really digging it. The volume pot is kinda sketchy though so I may swap it out.

I put a custom 5 in the bridge of mine. Originally had full shred in it and good God it was one of 3 times I couldn't work with a pickup. Palm mutes felt like single coils. Now I'm really digging it. The volume pot is kinda sketchy though so I may swap it out.
I pulled a Custom 5 out of my Edwards ES. It was a good pickup but it was a little hot for my tastes in terms of that guitar. It's smoother and less bright overall than the JB but I think it has less readily identifiable character. The JB has more honk so it would be more usable to me but truthfully I'm gonna pull the 59n/JB combo from the Paul. I'm finding the 59 a little muddy even after adjusting pickup height and pole pieces.

I pulled a Custom 5 out of my Edwards ES. It was a good pickup but it was a little hot for my tastes in terms of that guitar. It's smoother and less bright overall than the JB but I think it has less readily identifiable character. The JB has more honk so it would be more usable to me but truthfully I'm gonna pull the 59n/JB combo from the Paul. I'm finding the 59 a little muddy even after adjusting pickup height and pole pieces.
I put a jb in my ibanez s series. I was going all Nazgul/sentient or black winters. These days if it's a new build I can choose any pickup I'm going tonenerd. I have 2 customs now with those in it and feel like this is my go to brand.

For a single cut I really like a JB or similar. My LP classic has the suhr Aldrich and that guitar just has a vibe and personality all it's own.

Like I tend to play just about anything except country but playing my LP with the Suhr Aldrich I'm playing either classic rock stuff or backwater from the Meatpuppets or the Melvins when I pick it up or similar grungy stuff

I put a jb in my ibanez s series. I was going all Nazgul/sentient or black winters. These days if it's a new build I can choose any pickup I'm going tonenerd. I have 2 customs now with those in it and feel like this is my go to brand.

For a single cut I really like a JB or similar. My LP classic has the suhr Aldrich and that guitar just has a vibe and personality all it's own.

Like I tend to play just about anything except country but playing my LP with the Suhr Aldrich I'm playing either classic rock stuff or backwater from the Meatpuppets or the Melvins when I pick it up or similar grungy stuff
I'm going to try a Lollar DB in the neck with the JB at the bridge and if I like the Lollar enough I will order a DB bridge. I placed my order last week. They say the bridge DB is quite a bit like the JB and of the three hot bridges 499t, Custom 5, and JB I've tried I like the JB best. I just don't feel like putting PAF types in ANOTHER guitar so this LP copy is my test bed for experimenting with some different pickups. I'm playing blues stuff plugging straight into a Twin I just thought I'd try something higher output into a clean, loud amp and maybe eliminate any OD or boost in my chain.

I pulled a Custom 5 out of my Edwards ES. It was a good pickup but it was a little hot for my tastes in terms of that guitar. It's smoother and less bright overall than the JB
Also, the low-end of the Custom 5 is big, but a lot, I mean A LOT tighter than that of the JB. The mids are more balanced/laid back in comparison, but it still splits great.
I janked the JB from my ESP Horizon NTII and put the Custom 5 there.

Regarding the Charvels, like @Racerxrated already said, get a 2009-2010 MIJ (or USA if it fits the budget).
I got a Snow white 2010 MIJ So-Cal Pro Mod and the neck is great and that guitar plays great. I sorta made it my Adrian Smith guitar, as I initially got it when playing in a Maiden tribute.
At the time, these were delivered with a Tone Zone bridge (found it also a tad too flubby in the lows here, replaced it with a Norton) and an Evo Neck (quite nice actually, but I wanted a bit more thickness/smoothness, which the Air Norton delivered).

I can imagine that a JB will most likely be too flubby in the lows too *and* screechy up top (alder body, maple neck and FB....-->bright city), but that a Custom 5 will do wonders.

Also, the low-end of the Custom 5 is big, but a lot, I mean A LOT tighter than that of the JB. The mids are more balanced/laid back in comparison, but it still splits great.
I janked the JB from my ESP Horizon NTII and put the Custom 5 there.
Thanks for the notes, I probably would have missed that since I don't do a lot of "chugging" type stuff. I might have to revisit the Custom 5 again. I had it in an ES. Now I have a Paul and the amount of bass response is huge compared to the semi hollow. Not sure how that will all play out. Just doing a cursory sound check I liked the JB more for leads, but it's definitely one of the hotter pickups I've had. It almost goes straight to OD sounds where the Custom 5 would stay cleaner a lot longer.

The guitar simply isn't for you. I have owned several of the newer MIM Charvels, and the only one I didn't care for was a DK24. And the deal breaker for me was the jack location. Otherwise, it was a nice guitar. I typically change the pickups, but that is more of a personal choice- as I don't have a problem with the JB, but I much prefer the Aldrich in them. Personally, I love the neck profile on them. But to each their own...

One thing to mention; if any bolt on guitar plays 'stiff' you can try a couple things...first, try to change the neck angle by using a shim in the neck pocket, at the back of the pocket. Like a business card, or get a wood shim and cut it in half. That will help the stiffness imo..it has with a few Charvels that I've owned. Next, try a lower string gauge...if you play 10s go to 9s, etc. Both of these will help that 'stiff' feel in my experience.

One thing to mention; if any bolt on guitar plays 'stiff' you can try a couple things...first, try to change the neck angle by using a shim in the neck pocket, at the back of the pocket. Like a business card, or get a wood shim and cut it in half. That will help the stiffness imo..it has with a few Charvels that I've owned. Next, try a lower string gauge...if you play 10s go to 9s, etc. Both of these will help that 'stiff' feel in my experience.
Good advice IMO. And I wish I had understood those shimming principles better back when I was playing strats but I didn't really know about it at the time. I had a couple that were just brutally tight to play like that.

Good advice IMO. And I wish I had understood those shimming principles better back when I was playing strats but I didn't really know about it at the time. I had a couple that were just brutally tight to play like that.
It's pretty amazing how much of a difference a shim can make, when it changes the neck angle. I've returned a lot of USA Charvels that played super stiff, before I read about shimming. Also, if you have a recessed Floyd the shim may not work as well...I usually only go for flat mount Floyd guitars for that reason.

Interesting. I have always noticed my So Cal was kind of stiff feeling also. I generally shim about every bolt on, but never did this guitar for some reason. Maybe I will try it.

Curious. Are you shimming the neck back/away from the body, or up/towards the body?

Back