Options for locking a Floyd in place.

mooncobra

I know there is the tremel no. That requires drilling into guitar?

Are there other products like that?

I have a guitar I like but am just sick of the Floyd. If I could lock it in place that would solve a problem. It’s a great guitar.

I know there is the tremel no. That requires drilling into guitar?

Are there other products like that?

I have a guitar I like but am just sick of the Floyd. If I could lock it in place that would solve a problem. It’s a great guitar.
Is it going out of tune? I have a cheap Japanese jackson that never goes out of tune.. with nowhere of high quality of parts of the guitar you are speaking of. I'm just asking, have you had it set up by a good floyd guy..really set up right and stretched out? I just gotta believe that guitar could take anything and do anything...

I think he likes the bridge and guitar but wants to turn it into a hardtail.
(Unless I'm misinformed)

I put a block of something (wood, couple pieces of scrap pickguard material; old pics glued together, etc) in between the guitar and Floyd block on the side towards the springs (springs run over the top of this wood block).

Takes a bit of time to sand it to the right thickness, but you can run just one or two outer springs and keep checking by squeezing the block in there and lift up on the tremolo bar to force the trem all the way back to see if it sits level.

Once the wood block is the right thickness, I just use some double sticky back tape to hold it to the guitar and tighten the springs way down to pull the Floyd block hard into the new wood block. Now the bridge isn't going anywhere.

Like the guy up above said just use a little piece of wood couple dabs of glue put it in there tighten your springs up on the trem so it will not move and you're gonna be touching the guitar with your block and help your tone. I would say that would be a win win.

Yes that works
All my Floyded guitars are essentially hard tails, like I mentioned. The red springs really hold things in place pretty well with just 2 springs and the trem stop. Better tuning stability than a vintage trem that has been decked in my experience. Nice to still be able to fine tune and also to drop-tune with a D-Tuna if you were moved to do so.

The Tremol-no does not require any drilling. It’s pretty easy to install. And you can restore original parts if you resale.
He’s a decent instruction video:

I make 3D printed ones for my floyd guitars, either to block them completely or pop them in and out for easy string changes. Something like this could be made out of wood easily.

BbVmm2r.jpg

t8bDhZ8.jpg

Back