Peavey 5150 switchable mods

Doesn’t mean it’s not a shit design location.
Just because you read it on a forum doesn't make it a shit design. It's been in use for many years and has proven itself regardless of what internet experts might say.

Just because you read it on a forum doesn't make it a shit design. It's been in use for many years and has proven itself regardless of what internet experts might say.

You forget the reason some things are done the way they are is not because of correctness but rather to reduce cost and increase producibility.

Not only is the standby switch in the wrong location but they used a resistor instead of a choke not because single pole filters are better than double pole filters but rather because chokes are more expensive to purchase, inventory, install, and ship.

This actual expert only states facts. It’s textbook 101 knowledge you switch with respect to ground not with respect to hot especially if the design allows for it. You can do the latter but that doesn’t make it correct.

You could use a flyback suppression diode to control the spike. Solving a problem that shouldnt exist imo
Given the inrush currents involved you’ll need quite a few diodes in series not to overcome the breakdown voltage at startup. That being said this is the correct answer if you’re going to switch a choke in and out of circuit of a DC source.

Sorry are these rite to use for the choke mod

Attachments

• 20231020_105720.jpg
    20231020_105720.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
Sorry are these rite to use for the choke mod
No sir you need 5W ceramic encapsulated resistors that look like white blocks and are heavy. That’s because they need to be fire resistant should they short due to tube failure. The metal film ones you posted could technically ignite under severe failure before a fuse blows (assuming the fuse is correctly rated anyway) which is obviously a very bad scenario.

Would it be a good idea to use a higher value for any reason?or any suggestions on a specific brand ?I'm always willing to spend a little bit more for reliability reasons

Yeah that’s the correct type of resistor you got it.

1k value is perfect. You’re limited by how big they can be since it’s going onto a PCB board. I prefer vishay resistors. Valvestorm sells what you need.

Been a long time since I’ve looked at an OG schematic but they are either 220 or 470 ohm and you want to replace the lower values with 1k ohm 5W ceramic especially with a choke.
Bummer I already ordered 4 470ohm 5w.i would like to add a choke in the future.so I should get 1k 5w for that you say?and thanks for your patience and advice

Bummer I already ordered 4 470ohm 5w.i would like to add a choke in the future.so I should get 1k 5w for that you say?and thanks for your patience and advice
Myself as well as others recommend 1k 5W ceramic for various reasons. Parts are cheap so it’s not hard to order more. Otherwise it’s not worth your time since you have to lift the board.

Back