Peavey Windsors

bpetersen

I have heard these are good amps and I have heard they are terrible without a mod. People also talk about the build quality. Any first hand testimony?

I had one....but bought it brand new modded directly from FJA.
Sounded great..... :rock:
blew a power tube within 9 hours though. Seemed odd. :confused:

Jerry was super cool and said it was probably just a bad tube. No fuse blew.
He sent me a replacement tube on his dime. :thumbsup:

Oh Yeah.....I would take a used 5150 or 6505 over the Windsor any day.
The Crunch channel on the 5150 is so damn good. I want to buy another one just for that! :LOL: :LOL:

Mailman1971":2enm8fxw said:
The Crunch channel on the 5150 is so damn good. I want to buy another one just for that! :LOL: :LOL:
Definitely. I was thinking $200 was a decent price for a tube head.

I've had a Windsor twice I think, as an in-between-amps amp. Got the job done pretty well, but I ended up flipping it both times quite fast when I got the amp I was aiming for. Oh and the second time around I did use it as a power amp for my Eleven Rack as well.

Takes pedals well, on it's own it's somewhat sterile as someone already said.

For the price it's a pretty solid deal IMO.

Get a real amp.

You''ll end up doing that anyway.

Used DSL's go for $400 and up.

Chinese amps especially PV's are garbage.

I had a DSL and the reverb immediately went out. Besides, the main thing about the Windsor was the $200 price tag. I realize for twice that price, I have more options. I was just seeing if anyone had first hand experiences with the amp. I initially had been looking for an Ultra Plus with no luck. I thought about FJA modding the Windsor if I bought it. Jerry (FJA) did say the Windsors are solid amps, contrary to what many have said about the Windsor.

I have the windsor head (loud as f@ck) I agree with what everybody has said already in this thread. Good amp for the $$$ can get decent tones, sounds even better in a band setting. I have mine with a 7 band EQ in the loop and an OCD pushing the front, sounds like a Hot Rodded JCM 900. I got mine for a steal, $170.00 new from Musicians Friend on a STOD. Can't beat that. What I've researched on the web is that a simple resistor and capacitor change will unleash the beast within. Heard alot of people calim that a BBE Preamp pedal really bring this amp up to snuff also.

Nick F

bpetersen":1dm5h0l1 said:
Mailman1971":1dm5h0l1 said:
I thought this to, but it's a turd even for 200 clams

bpetersen":39xmjnzy said:
Mailman1971":39xmjnzy said:
Paid $200 for mine. Sometimes it sounds really good and other times kinda strange. I use the low input with gain around 2oclock.
I borrowed an OR50 from Orange and the Windsor actually held it's own. Must have been one of it's good days. hehe

bpetersen":2p0iojfx said:
I had a DSL and the reverb immediately went out. Besides, the main thing about the Windsor was the $200 price tag. I realize for twice that price, I have more options. I was just seeing if anyone had first hand experiences with the amp. I initially had been looking for an Ultra Plus with no luck. I thought about FJA modding the Windsor if I bought it. Jerry (FJA) did say the Windsors are solid amps, contrary to what many have said about the Windsor.
That's what I paid. Not bad at all. And it's stock.

charveldan":3cdna3vm said:
Chinese amps especially PV's are garbage.
Kind of painting the entire line with the same brush, aren't you?

Generalizations are generally worthless. Just sayin' ;)

First off I'm a Marshall guy. But the DSL I had 13 years ago was breaking down every other friggin week. I've had a few Peaveys and they've never broken down..I'll never buy another DSL again. But I do love my 800s, Jubilee, etc... :D

Back