Practicing Habits

War Admiral

This is not a lesson but more of a question on your practicing habits. Its weird but I get spurts when I can practice a couple of hours a day for sometimes a couple of weeks or more in a row but then I can go for a week without even touching the guitar. :no:
Lately I've been lucky in a way because I've been off work for the past 2 months and I've had lots of time to put in practicing...my playing has jumped like 2 levels because of it. I'm taking advantage of this because when I go back to work I won't have as much free time.
In normal times with work, wife, kids...etc. I try to get at least 4 hours a week of personal practice in. This is not including playing out or reahersing with the band.

As I've mentioned several times on this site, I had a spinal issue that robbed me of some physical abilities in my fretting hand. Physical practice for me is pretty tricky. If I don't practice enough my hands get stiff and if I practice too much my hands get weak...'due to nerve damage. It's a balancing act that keeps me treading water at best...no worse, no better.

Lately, I've been trying to improve the guitar muscle between me ears to counter the lose of physical abilities. You know, better note choice rather the more notes. :LOL: :LOL: In the last two months I've learned to pick out and name any note on the fretboard with very little hesitation. I also have memorized all of the major triads and the 7th. I've also memorized the sharps and flats sequence of the modes. Oh yeah, the circle of fifths is more than just a pretty picture. :LOL: :LOL:

That's why I like this forum so much. It's helping me to learn and improve my understanding of music theory...'slowly but surely. :LOL: :LOL:

Mine ebbs and flows depending on my current kick. All though lately my ebbs and flows are longer. In the past it seemed I switched gears way too quickly and never really learned anything. Now I take more time with a single subject and the results show. I have been doing a lot of rhythm and single note exercises of late. I am in the mood for working on original stuff now and incorporating the things I have been working on.

In May/June I went about a month without playing guitar, and it was the longest period I've done without since I began playing eight years ago. It was miserable, and I actually cut a vacation/volunteer work program short because I thought I was going to throw a fit. I play guitar every single day, and I can't imagine more than two days without one being in my hands. Shit's worse than cocaine. :no:

I used to play around an hour daily, but lately I've been doing much more to improve technique, and today alone I played for seven hours. I probably do a good four or five on a normal day. I have too much free time. :LOL: :LOL:

You guys get to play more in a day than I get to play in a week!! LOL 4 kids will do that to ya though!! LOL I used to play 4 - 5 hours a night when I was first learning, but I think that may have been one of the things that led to my divorce!! :p

I try to get in an hour a day, even if I have worked a 13 hour shift. It's important to have daily practice, so much more even then the 7-hour grind sessions every now and then.

Back