Preamp Tubes for Diezel Hagen

Steve560

Hi Diezel community,

I received my Diezel Hagen yesterday. What a brilliant brilliant amp! Since I purchased it used and the transportation was obviously a little rough, I have a little noise and would like to replace the preamp tubes first. Can anyone recommend a certain brand or type? There are also offered complete sets for the amp from TAD or Eurotubes? Obviously the layout is the same as the layout for the Herbert or D-moll.

1x TAD 7025 HG RT010
1x TAD 7025 Mullard slected RT011
4x 12AX7A-c RT001

GLORIOUS AMP!!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

If purchased new, Diezel does a damn good job of pairing the amp with good quality, decent sounding, consistent sounding glass - but it's not typically high-end glass, and the reasons for that are numerous (cost trickles down to the consumer, people's preferences, etc etc etc.)

My Hagen? I ran the stock JJ KT77s for as long as I could, then went with GL-KT77, and also kept a set of EL34s around (will have to check the brand).

Preamp is a cocktail of GL-ECC83 V1, then some Svetalana 12AX7, and currently an Ei Yugo 12AX7 in the PI slot, and while this PI tube gives a certain "knock" to the feel of the guitar-to-amp, I think I'd prefer the LPS back in there. If there's any hiss or anything, that's simply the Chinese 12AX7B that come stock with the amp, and if you wanna change shit up, a good ol' 5751 in the V1 will dramatically change the gain ceiling on the amp; or conversely, place that tube in V2 (solely for Ch.4) will quiet things down hiss wise, but maintain all the stacked gain still coming into that channel.

See diagram below.
Cheers,
Unkle Mo

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 11.45.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 11.45.32 AM.png
    91.1 KB · Views: 143
Steve560":ybx9a8or said:
Mine is from 2012 and the first owner never changed the tubes, so I will put in a complete new set.
Lemme know if you need any particular tone or feel from the amp and I may be able to offer suggestions.

KT77s are really nice.
EL34 will give it a slight nudge in the mids.

Chinese 12AX7 is fine for loop
GL-ECC83 is the finest preamp out there IMHO and I love 'em in V1 of all my amps.
Svetlana 12AX7 are warm, some say dark, I like 'em - they're smooth
Preferred Series (thetubestore.com) are high gain, low noise, thrashers
TAD 7025S in Europe are excellent all rounders
Sovtek LPS in the PI slot, overall, my preferred tube

32mA biasing per tube in the EL34/KT77 family.
No need for a bass-heavy tube as the amp delivers low-end in spades.
Some say it's fizzy, this immediately goes away with higher volumes/SPLs, but if it bugs ya, it can be remedied with a decent tube-set or a 5751 (Jan-GE/Philips) in V2 or V3 but it really changes the structure - a lot.

Lemme know - here to help
Unkle Mo :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Hi Ventura ....i own a VH2 great first channel but the second 's got too much gain for me...never further than half even less !! so i wonder if i decided to swap with a 5751 preamp tube which tube do i have to change ...V1 and what the 4 others match with ( is the gain level only concern the V1 )......
Moreover i've got a 2x12 ( what a fucking idiot not to have bought a 4x12 !!! ) diezel with V30 but always wonder about G12K100.....i have read a lot of your comments and know you love them a lot... if i play at home ?? is it worth ?

Back