Problem Using a Delay & Reverb in Front of Wizard Modern

Frogman

Hey All;

I hope the folks here may be able to shed some light on this issue below...

I seem to have an odd issue with delays in front of a Wizard Modern Classic, the delay and reverb do not seem to act right, or maybe better to say the amp does not like the pedal... the sound is " too up front" I need to lower the mix setting to almost totally dry, the sound mix still is not good with this setting.

I am using the high input, with a fairly distorted gain tone.

I do not have an effects loop in the amp, but I can say the same pedal or set up sounds great with other amps like a Marshall re-issue JTM-45 or Snider 234.

The chorus seems to act fine with the Wizard, as does a Univibe style pedal. Is this an adjustment I can make with the pedal? Any suggestions or why these two pedals do not act "nice" with the Wizard? Thanks for your time.

Ed

In general, time based effects, particularly delays, don't play nicely in front of highly distorted amps. Some people get away with it, but the amp normally isn't overly saturated and/or the delay level isn't mixed in very high. You can try dialing down the mix/delay level and repeats, but it isn't going to give you the same sound as if you had it going through an effects loop, unfortunately. There's a pedal called the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay that claims to work well in front of heavily distorted amps. I've read mixed reviews on how well it actually backs up its claim, but I've never played one to have my own opinions on it.

Back