Protone Dino Cazares Overdrive Pedal

20210303_125912.jpg

My Protone Dino Cazares OD pedal arrived a few days ago. Is it Fear Factory in a box? Well, it can certainly push your amp in that direction. I use it to boost a Peavey 5150 and can confirm that it blends quite well with this amp. The tone knob has a very distinct upper midrange frequency that pronounces machine gun riffs very well, you really hear every note that you pick.There is a lot of range in the tone knob and its quite easy to find the sweet spot. I usually like it with the drive off, however when dialing back the tone a little and adding a touch of drive, you get a different sound altogether resulting in smoother upper mids and more treble/brightness. For me there are 2 cool and different sound in it right there. You can go from demanufacture to soul of a new machine and beyond. The 6 position bass switch is a nice feature that I wish other pedals had. You can really fine tune the low end to suit your amp and pickups. Positions 5 and 6 give you a full low end while notch 1 and 2 are ridiculously tight for 8 string players. I prefer the bass on 3 or 4 to retain some low end while still being very tight. Probably one of the tightest pedals I have ever played.

Last edited:
What is the deal with that company and their signature artists? Merrow, Misha, Loomis, Halcom and they disappear after a while it seems.

I got the bulb deluxe and it’s good but ended up liking the precision drive much more

I have never used any of thoes pedals. It comes down to personal preference. I like to have a bright and a warm pedal for different tones. At the moment I prefer the dino pedal for bright and the KHDK ghoul screamer for warm tones.

My pedal was clearly blemished. I ordered and it was sold out shortly after, but.. I never got mine. So I emailed them and they did send it and it functions fine. But the finish looks like a project gone wrong.

The artists vanishing so fast makes me wonder if they are getting screwed over or something

Fair enough. Send it back if your not happy with the finish. I'm happy with mine and it will stay in my rack unless something better comes along

My pedal was clearly blemished. I ordered and it was sold out shortly after, but.. I never got mine. So I emailed them and they did send it and it functions fine. But the finish looks like a project gone wrong.

The artists vanishing so fast makes me wonder if they are getting screwed over or something
I am not a fan of the company. The guy running the company has horrible at best communication and follow through. I ordered a pedal upon talking to him and he told me it was in stock and would ship out immediately. I paid, never got the tracking info a week or so later nor did I get the pedal. I emailed, and left a voice message reiterating our conversation to refresh his memory on what he told me and no response. I ended up calling him a few days later and he was an ass to me. He told me he never said the pedal was available as it was on backorder. While talking, I forwarded his message back to me with him stating it wasn't on backorder and would ship out that day along with my paid order receipt, etc. He assured me I would have the pedal in a couple weeks. 3 days later I had the pedal, no heads up, no tracking, no sorry for the delay, nothing. The pedal arrived in a raw enclosure (They make a raw looking pedal but it appears online to have a clear coating over it) with some sort of graphic labeling the knobs. It was bare bones and didn't look like what I ordered. The pedal worked and sounded ok and I just chalked it up to a bad experience and said the heck with it. In the meantime, I bought the Horizon Devices Precision Drive due to the wait and like it better. The pedals are similar and if I had to guess I would guess that the Protone dude made a pedal and Misha stole the idea and made it better with MXR. Who knows? I am not a fan of Protone customer service nor Misha for that matter.

I have heard others complain about the protone owners attitude so it must be a thing. I had good experience though. The pedal arrived on time, looks good and sounds good to me.

I am not a fan of the company. The guy running the company has horrible at best communication and follow through. I ordered a pedal upon talking to him and he told me it was in stock and would ship out immediately. I paid, never got the tracking info a week or so later nor did I get the pedal. I emailed, and left a voice message reiterating our conversation to refresh his memory on what he told me and no response. I ended up calling him a few days later and he was an ass to me. He told me he never said the pedal was available as it was on backorder. While talking, I forwarded his message back to me with him stating it wasn't on backorder and would ship out that day along with my paid order receipt, etc. He assured me I would have the pedal in a couple weeks. 3 days later I had the pedal, no heads up, no tracking, no sorry for the delay, nothing. The pedal arrived in a raw enclosure (They make a raw looking pedal but it appears online to have a clear coating over it) with some sort of graphic labeling the knobs. It was bare bones and didn't look like what I ordered. The pedal worked and sounded ok and I just chalked it up to a bad experience and said the heck with it. In the meantime, I bought the Horizon Devices Precision Drive due to the wait and like it better. The pedals are similar and if I had to guess I would guess that the Protone dude made a pedal and Misha stole the idea and made it better with MXR. Who knows? I am not a fan of Protone customer service nor Misha for that matter.

this is very similar to my experience!

someone has to know the inside scoop. I’m curious to see how long Dino will stay with them

I’ve also heard lots of these bad things about them. I had 2 versions of the Misha Mansoor version and Keith Merrow one and thought they sounded decent for getting that tight, attacky tone, but I then got later and preferred for that the Airis Savage, Horizon Precision Drive, Fortin 33 & Grind, but then those were all sent packing fast from the VFE Standout, and then that got sent packing and now for me the best tool for that job is the vintage rack PQ’s like the Furman PQ-3, TC 1140 and Audioarts 4100. Those have been keepers and best I’ve tried for tightness. Still would be curious to try this Dino Cazares version if I get a chance. I always gotta try these things for peace of mind lol

I’ve had also the High Wind Dire Wolf, KSR Eros, KDHK and others (I’ve owned over 130 overdrive pedals/boosts) and I found those rack PQ’s to outdo those kinda pedals I had, but there was a little learning curve to dialing them in. They’ve made all but 8 of all those pedals obsolete for me. The only reason those 8 pedals are not obsolete is because they have things like either germanium diodes, tubes or other specific things that those PQ unit don’t have. It they hypothetically did then they’d probably send those others packing as well, but unfortunately not the case

Interesting that you prefer the classic Furman EQ that dimebag used back in the day over 130 other pedals. I'd like to try one of thoes out of curiosity. I use the parametric eq in my old Boss GT-10 through the effects loop to pull out the boxy low mids and that works great.

Last edited:
Interested that you prefer the classic Furman EQ that dimebag used back in the day over 130 other pedals. I'd like to try one of thoes out of curiosity. I use the parametic eq in my old Boss GT-10 through the effects loop to pull out the boxy low mids and that works great.
I literally compared them side by side and the Furman and TC 1140 sounded much better than the vast majority of pedals imo. The Furman especially has this inherently organic, warm sound as vintage gear tends to have with very pleasing mids. I actually like vintage TC 1140 more overall, but the Furman has the edge in warmth and nice midrange. The Audioart 4100 will get the tightest and more modern, but otherwise prefer those other 2 rack PQ’s. I still own all 3 and unlikely to sell them. All keepers. Even the 8 pedals I still have, I can dial in my TC 1140 or Furman to sound pretty close to most of them. The Furman is very noisy though

The GT-10 I’m guessing would sound different. I don’t like my Furman or TC 1140 in the loop, but killer out front as a boost

With those PQ’s, when I want that real tight sound, I go between 200-300 Hz , usually 250, (depends which PQ unit), cut those frequencies back, turn up the higher ones and can even dial in more lower frequencies if I wanted and have a sound tighter yet also beefier at the same time than any boost pedal I’ve tried has given me, especially with the Audioarts. That one is really tight, but also more compressed and not quite as organic sounding as the Furman or TC 1140. Some pedals though can have this attack I like that the rack PQ’s don’t quite have. My Wizard Leopard and Klon excel there. I still use my Klon at least 95% of the time I use a boost. Very expensive, but for me was worth every penny and I’ve sold more money worth of boosts it sent packing than what I paid for it still

Last edited:
Bummer about the service. Hate hearing stories like that. I have the Holt boost and it's pretty cool. I was keen on trying the Dino one...

y2BpQe7l.jpg

Looks good. How does it sound?
The Dino pedal is great if you are looking for pick attack. I find that many OD pedals are slightly different versions of each other. If your happy with what you have then that's all that really matters. 2 or 3 ODs are enough for me to change up the sound.

Last edited:
Looks good. How does it sound?
The Dino pedal is great if you are looking for pick attack. I find that many OD pedals are slightly different versions of each other. If your happy with what you have then that's all that really matters. 2 or 3 ODs are enough for me to change up the sound.
Sounds rad!

This is a track I wrote for the demo vid I am doing

Sounds rad!

This is a track I wrote for the demo vid I am doing

Boner material right there,motherfucker!!

I ordered the Gary Holt pedal the moment as it was announced. Pretty sure I have every Gary Holt pedal he was ever involved with....and I don't use pedals at all. I wanted a signed one,but he said they were already gone. Now he is announcing the end of the collaboration with Gary and has a few signed ones but doesn't guarantee you will get a signed one of you order one. Hmmm...makes me wonder.

Back