Protone Dino Cazares Overdrive Pedal

Sounds rad!

This is a track I wrote for the demo vid I am doing

Awesome setup man!

I like how you have your pedalboard set vertically. Or do you just place pedals there temporarily for a plug and play scenario?

I’m always trying to think of ways to make a pedalboard both portable and able to fit into a studio setting. Especially since it will be in the studio 99% of the time

BOSS MetalZone = Dino tone!

The first time I heard Dino, metal zone tone is all I heard, but that was then. I know know it was the Marshall he had with an EQ, but it sounded exactly like my MetalZone with a 1972 Marshall SL, everyone agreed who heard it. Still super super mean ass tone to this day

BOSS MetalZone = Dino tone!

The first time I heard Dino, metal zone tone is all I heard, but that was then. I know know it was the Marshall he had with an EQ, but it sounded exactly like my MetalZone with a 1972 Marshall SL, everyone agreed who heard it. Still super super mean ass tone to this day
Boss Metal zone into a dual rectifier is supposed to be the cannible corps tone. That sound is quite different to Dino's but of course going into a Marshall amp would be a major contributing factor.

Just got this Dino Cazares pedal myself yesterday and I gotta admit I’m impressed! For things like a modern tone, tightness or djent it’s probably the best pedal I’ve tried so far and I’ve been through over 140 now (have 10 I kept) including literally everything that’s been mentioned on this forum. If you’re not into those kinda sounds then you probably won’t like it, but even my friend who mostly plays punk and alt rock stuff really liked it and was even used for some parts of his re-amping. I really wasn’t expecting much since I didn’t keep the 2 versions of the Misha Mansoor one I had nor the Keith Merrow one, but this Cazares ones is way better. It almost sent my Wizard Leopard and Deadweald Duality DX packing, but not quite, but did send my Mud Killer packing. I didn’t wanna like it based on what I heard about the customer service, but I really think it’s a great pedal for tight, modern, attacky tones. Better than I remember liking the Precision Drive, Fortin 33, Grind, Airis Savage, standout, and Highwind Direwolf

Last edited:
Just got this Dino Cazares pedal myself yesterday and I gotta admit I’m impressed! For things like a modern tone, tightness or djent it’s probably the best pedal I’ve tried so far and I’ve been through over 140 now (have 10 I kept) including literally everything that’s been mentioned on this forum. If you’re not into those kinda sounds then you probably won’t like it, but even my friend who mostly plays punk and alt rock stuff really liked it and was even used for some parts of his re-amping. I really wasn’t expecting much since I didn’t keep the 2 versions of the Misha Mansoor one I had nor the Keith Merrow one, but this Cazares ones is way better. It almost sent my Wizard Leopard and Deadweald Duality DX packing, but not quite, but did send my Mud Killer packing. I didn’t wanna like it based on what I heard about the customer service, but I really think it’s a great pedal for tight, modern, attacky tones. Better than I remember liking the Precision Drive, Fortin 33, Grind, Airis Savage, standout, and Highwind Direwolf
That's awesome! Great that you like it so much. What do you think of this pedal now after having lived with it for some time? Personally, after having it for several months I only seem to use it when playing Fear Factory songs. I have gravitated back to my Ghoul Screamer for all other types of metal. The Dino pedal is fantastic for tight rhythms and I can totally hear the character of this pedal on the new FF album Aggression Continuum. My only gripe is that it changes the character of my amp more than what I like whereas tube screamer type pedals seem to blend in a more subtle way. Anyhow, it's worth having 2 different pedals on my board for versatility.

That's awesome! Great that you like it so much. What do you think of this pedal now after having lived with it for some time? Personally, after having it for several months I only seem to use it when playing Fear Factory songs. I have gravitated back to my Ghoul Screamer for all other types of metal. The Dino pedal is fantastic for tight rhythms and I can totally hear the character of this pedal on the new FF album Aggression Continuum. My only gripe is that it changes the character of my amp more than what I like whereas tube screamer type pedals seem to blend in a more subtle way. Anyhow, it's worth having 2 different pedals on my board for versatility.
Same thoughts still. My opinions on gear very rarely change after day 1 since I’m very thorough with testing and comparing to other stuff. Like you said I tend to use it when I’m looking for a very tight or more modern kinda sound, but at least 95% of the time the Klon is still what I use for boosting over everything else (always has been that way). Every other pedal I get is really just vying for 2nd place. I agree it’s not as transparent as others and better suited for rhythmical or more technical stuff, but for what it excels at I think it’s the best I’ve tried so far. I think this and the klon (or a more practical alternative) is all a metal player needs for boosts to have their bases covered and maybe a good vintage pq. Since I made that last post I actually narrowed things down to just 3 old rack PQ’s and 4 boost pedals (went through over 140 before) :klon, Cazares, Coppersound Broadway and Thorpy Heavy. The latter 2 aren’t really suited for metal, but phenomenal pedals still

I used to have a ghoul screamer, but somewhere along my journey over those ~140-ish other pedals there was something else that sent it packing. Too hard though to remember at this point which one it was haha. Also I didn’t keep the other Protone pedals I’ve had (2 different versions of the Misha Mansoor Overdrive and Keith Merrow one), but like this Dino one a lot more

Last edited:
Same thoughts still. My opinions on gear very rarely change after day 1 since I’m very thorough with testing and comparing to other stuff. Like you said I tend to use it when I’m looking for a very tight or more modern kinda sound, but at least 95% of the time the Klon is still what I use for boosting over everything else (always has been that way). Every other pedal I get is really just vying for 2nd place. I agree it’s not as transparent as others and better suited for rhythmical or more technical stuff, but for what it excels at I think it’s the best I’ve tried so far. I think this and the klon (or a more practical alternative) is all a metal player needs for boosts to have their bases covered and maybe a good vintage pq. Since I made that last post I actually narrowed things down to just 3 old rack PQ’s and 4 boost pedals (went through over 140 before) :klon, Cazares, Coppersound Broadway and Thorpy Heavy. The latter 2 aren’t really suited for metal, but phenomenal pedals still

I used to have a ghoul screamer, but somewhere along my journey over those ~140-ish other pedals there was something else that sent it packing. Too hard though to remember at this point which one it was haha
How does this Dino pedal compare with the Precision Drive? They look pretty similar on paper.

How does this Dino pedal compare with the Precision Drive? They look pretty similar on paper.
So much better than the precision drive. No contest. The precision drive sounded like a toy, very nasal, boxy sounding, filtered pedal-like sound. It was very tight, which is why I kept it for a while, but I think this Dino pedal is at least as tight, if not more, without sounding anywhere near as filtered, narrow or nasal like the precision drive. If you’re after tightness or modern tones, the Dino is the best I’ve tried yet. If you’re not after those kinda sounds then maybe not the best pedal to have. I didn’t keep any of the other Protone pedals I’ve had, but like this Dino one a lot more

I hear you! The Dino cazares pedal is a one trick pony and it does that trick better than any other pedal. It sounds the way I wanted the Fortin 33 pedal to sound which I always felt cut a bit too much bass. The bass control is a big plus on the DC pedal. I always wanted to try out a PQ4 but can never find one with reasonable shipping cost to Australia

I used to have a ghoul screamer, but somewhere along my journey over those ~140-ish other pedals there was something else that sent it packing. Too hard though to remember at this point which one it was haha. Also I didn’t keep the other Protone pedals I’ve had (2 different versions of the Misha Mansoor Overdrive and Keith Merrow one), but like this Dino one a lot more

I hear you! The Dino cazares pedal is a one trick pony and it does that trick better than any other pedal. It sounds the way I wanted the Fortin 33 pedal to sound which I always felt cut a bit too much bass. The bass control is a big plus on the DC pedal. I always wanted to try out a PQ4 but can never find one with reasonable shipping cost to Australia
Exactly the Dino is the best I’ve tried so far for what it’s going for. Way better than any of those Fortin’s like the 33 or Grind. Those PQ’s can be cool units to have and can dial in some really thick tones with them, but they’re noisy, can be finicky and you gotta be very precise with how you dial them in and they still can’t match what the Dino does. My vintage rack PQ’s have sent many many pedals packing, but not the 4 I’ve kept

Last edited:
Back