Question about mute.

When you mute the amp, can you switch over to another guitar without causing any problems... cause well it's not normally good to switch guitars on an amp without some sort of buffer device, but since it seems to deaden it entirely I was thinking hey, just maybe because they have plugs on guitar cords that can mute so you can go to a different guitar, just wondering if it would work similar.

-Nick

I do that all the time. Works fine, and I believe that's what this feature was designed for...well, and for tuning and stuff. :)

I've never heard that you shouldnt unplug aguitar without a buffer between it and the amp....news to me.

:|::QBB:
Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":efb05 said:
well the whole pops and cracks thing sin't really good on them.

Everything i've heard recently has been that it's not much of an issue.

:|::QBB:
Hey_bert_whtcha_doin_bert":dcf78 said:
Sweet nuggin's then. :thumbsup:

-Nick

I used to be worried about it, but an amp tech around here explained it like this, if you play fast starts and stops with crazy filters and synths in front of the amp (like I do at times), then it isn't much different then a quick buzz, pop or crackle from your cable. After thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense.Those fast pops and stuff are nowhere near as loud as when i'm actually playing my guitar, ya know?

They are annoying though if they go on for to long so I love my handy little mute button on the Herbert, only just thought to program a channel for mute in on the Columbus, genius!

Honestly, you don't need fancy silent plugs or whatever. Here's what you do:

1) Pull the plug in the amp input out a bit. This cuts the sound but the plug is still in.
2) Change guitars.
3) Push the plug back into the amp input.

^The silent plug cost me about $7 more when I bought my cable from Lava Cables - so it's not a real big investment for convenience.

Of course I'm lazy. I have 2 rack effect units so I don't have to change my loop cable between heads when I play different amps. :p

Back