Quickrod 2013 vs 2016 vs 2021

MrFlexx

I'm about to buy a Quickrod 100 and can get my hands on a used one made in 2013 or a brand new 2016 or a brand new 2021. I'm totally new coming to Splawn and would like to know the differences between these years...Pros? Cons?

I don’t think there’s much difference from a 2016 to 2021 but their is a difference on the 2013. For 2016 and till current, they now have a old/new switch. Based on my opinion, I think the old switch is more aggressive and the new switch is more cleaner and mid focused. They have the mid scoop switch which is self explanatory on what it does. I think you can get more into the Nitro territory with it on. And last they have the drop B+ switch on the back which lowers the voltage and gives the amp more sag. I personally would go with 2016 or newer just for the extra features and a 2016 model is what I use. Bought it new and have used it ever since.

I don’t think there’s much difference from a 2016 to 2021 but their is a difference on the 2013. For 2016 and till current, they now have a old/new switch. Based on my opinion, I think the old switch is more aggressive and the new switch is more cleaner and mid focused. They have the mid scoop switch which is self explanatory on what it does. I think you can get more into the Nitro territory with it on. And last they have the drop B+ switch on the back which lowers the voltage and gives the amp more sag. I personally would go with 2016 or newer just for the extra features and a 2016 model is what I use. Bought it new and have used it ever since.
Those are all options and not standard. You can order one of those features or all of those features. So if you are buying a used amp, you'll need to ask specifically what it has.

Those are all options and not standard. You can order one of those features or all of those features. So if you are buying a used amp, you'll need to ask specifically what it has.
While we’re kinda on the same subject, does anyone know the difference from an older Nitro (2008) vs a 2021 model? I figured it has a better clean channel but I was curious to know anything else that would be different.

I believe the newer ones have better clean channels if that is important to you.

While we’re kinda on the same subject, does anyone know the difference from an older Nitro (2008) vs a 2021 model? I figured it has a better clean channel but I was curious to know anything else that would be different.

When I called Scott the other day about putting the KT88/EL34 switch into my Nitro, we got to talking about the "new vs. old" Splawn amps. This discusstion was brought about from the current hype over "pre Gibson Mesa Boogies" and how people have this perception that thing aren't made like they used to be or whatever. Scott mentioned that people have called him asking about that "something special" that he was doing back in 2006 (or whatever year model you're looking at) that made his amps sound so good, and could he duplicate that now, but he said the he feels that the amps he's building today are the best he's ever made and he's not looking back.

He did mention that the cleans on these new amps are much better than the old ones.. and if you're on the fence about "new vs. old" Splawns and how they differ, you can have both at the flick of a switch with the new/old switch option. It's been claimed that the older Splawns were too "stiff and unforgiving"... If that is your concern, get the drop B+ switch option to give it more sag and loosten it up. Too much mid range? Get the mid switch option installed.. IMHO, with the options that are currently available you can pretty much have it all in the newer Splawn amps. While I understand that it's difficult for some folks to drop full price on a brand new Splawn with all the options, I did this as a matter of priciple on my Quickrod because Scott's customer service is top notch and second to none. My Nitro I bought used because.. Well, it was too good a deal to pass up, but it's at Scott's shop right now getting the "fully loaded" options added to it and it's getting converted to KT88's. Scott has been gracious and accomidating during this whole process, even though I didn't buy the amp new from him and that is one of the main reasons I love my Splawns and will buy more brand new amps when the opportunity presents itself. Scott is a class act, and his amps are killer.. nuff said.

From personal experience... I own a 2005 QuickRod. A friend of mine has a 2018 will all the bells and whistles. Even with the "Old/New" switch set to Old, my amp sounds completely different. My amp is much more aggressive in tone and feel. The newer amps definitely have more gain on tap, but it is smoother and less aggressive sounding. I would say that the newer amps are easier to get a good clean on. With my amp, if I want good cleans, I have to have my gain knob on the lead channel below noon. So to use both channels, I set it to Third Gear and use OD 1 with the gain at noon.

Back