Randall RG80

FrankTheThird

Hey anyone here have the newer Randall RG80 that can post some clips and opinions on it, I've decided to keep my current guitar and upgrade the amp, unfortunately there is practically zero info on YouTube about these.

I'm pretty much just looking at a Randall for home use only right now, I like the sounds I've heard from the RD5 and RG13, except the RG13 plus a little cab would cost more than either of the combos, problem is the RG80 is of course 80 watts(of SS, a watt is a watt blah blah) which is a bit much for home use...or is it? Anyways any input is appreciated. :D

If you mean the old Randall RG80ES, I believe it's an 80-watt version of the legendary Randall RG100ES head.

If you mean the combo that Randall is currently producing, I have no idea.

I had the 300 watt head version of this amp, the rg3003h I believe?? Anyways, these solid state heads sound good at any volume, from wisper quiet to stage volume, so I'd buy the amp if I were you. Only thing is, it needs a boost to tighten up the lows a bit, i used a Boss sd-1 or a Maxon od808 to great effect. I even boosted it with a metal zone sometimes and that sounded really tight. It's got tons of gain though.

Also, the second channel on these amps, the red channel is similar to the old RG100ES and RG80ES heads (which sound amazing thru the right cab), the EQ tapers are much different but the tones are in there, it just takes some tweaking.

Quite a few people has said the newer Randalls like Anomaly states are about a s close to the old RG100ES tones as one can get since mosfets like the old ones are not really available in mass any longer.

Look up Ola on youttube he does Dimetone with a newer Randall and it was pretty good. I still like my old RG100ES but I did think about pickup a newer RG1503 or 3003 after they came out. Pricewise you could looks for an actual RG80, they can be had for about the same price.

Quite a few people has said the newer Randalls like Anomaly states are about a s close to the old RG100ES tones as one can get since mosfets like the old ones are not really available in mass any longer.

Look up Ola on youttube he does Dimetone with a newer Randall and it was pretty good. I still like my old RG100ES but I did think about pickup a newer RG1503 or 3003 after they came out. Pricewise you could looks for an actual RG80, they can be had for about the same price.

Those old RG's are getting hard to find, and their WAY more expensive than they used to be. Pisses me off cause I'm GASsing for a rg100es or rg80es really bad. I used to rock a rg100es head in my old metal band for years and it always more than did the job. Cut through the mix really well too. Big fan of those amps... and yes those new RG's are about as close as you are going to get to one, but they're still not the same.

Back