Random cab centre post question

Me

Just had my old (USA made?) 412RL cab open and was pondering the centre post in it. Obvs it's screwed (or glued) to the middle of the front baffle, but nothing connects it to the back. I've seen similar in other cabs (I think like my old Marshall one). Is there a good reason it doesn't have a centre screw to it through the back panel too? I'd have thought not being attached to front and back would/could add a load of additional buzz or resonances. So maybe would sound tighter with an extra screw in the back? But maybe there's a good reason and it would actually be detrimental to the sound.

I know Peter S did a load of cab experiments when they moved to Germany, so maybe he has a good answer if no-one else does?

On a roughly related note: anyone know who makes these cabs removable castors? One of my little spring bits is bust so the castor slides out and falls off.

(Re: my first question: After more picture digging I found it seems the vast majority of cab makers don’t have a rear screw to the centre post. One of very few who do is Zilla, but not spotted many more than that. But still curious why/if and if it adds that deep buzz sometimes on low palm mute notes)

Just had my old (USA made?) 412RL cab open and was pondering the centre post in it. Obvs it's screwed (or glued) to the middle of the front baffle, but nothing connects it to the back. I've seen similar in other cabs (I think like my old Marshall one). Is there a good reason it doesn't have a centre screw to it through the back panel too? I'd have thought not being attached to front and back would/could add a load of additional buzz or resonances. So maybe would sound tighter with an extra screw in the back? But maybe there's a good reason and it would actually be detrimental to the sound.

I know Peter S did a load of cab experiments when they moved to Germany, so maybe he has a good answer if no-one else does?
I drilled and added a screw to the center post in my Bogner 4x12. I can quickly remove the screw and go back to the original tone. Anyway, adding the screw definitely tightened things up, quickened the attack, made the sound more upfront and reduced a bit of deep resonance. It might be overkill on an already tight cab paired with very tight speakers, amp, etc. There's no right or wrong in this case.

Back