Reccomed me some 6550s

I need to change the tubes in my Peters Gryphon and was thinking about trying some 6550s. I'm not really sure of what brand to get as it is a tube I've never used before. I want new manufactured stuff, I don't want to spend the money on NOS tubes. Any recommendations? Thanks!

The Traveller":38gyc9x5 said:
I need to change the tubes in my Peters Gryphon and was thinking about trying some 6550s. I'm not really sure of what brand to get as it is a tube I've never used before. I want new manufactured stuff, I don't want to spend the money on NOS tubes. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Spend 20-50 on used GE 6550s. Used yet strong GEs sound best to me.

I'm using the Tung Sol 6550's from New Sensor in my Peters Vega/FSM and Bogner Twin Jet.
Sounds pretty good to me :thumbsup:
If I remember correctly, when I called up The TubeStore and told them I wanted a quad of 6550's for a Bogner Uberschall, they said the Tung Sols would be the best bet unless I wanted to spend $400+ on =C='s.
I went with the Tung Sols, and then ordered a second set later to try in the Peters.
Both amps sound phenomenal :rock:

The idea for the used GE bottles has a lot of merit, if you can find a source for a matched quad.

The Tung Sols are very good for new production. Go with those. GE are too hard to find reliably matched.

I use JJ tubes in all my amps when I retube them. I haven't tried their 6550's yet, but all of their other tubes sound very good to me so id assume the 6550's will follow suit

Back