Recomended reading for a beginner to theory.

pop_n_fresh

I am a beginner to theory (self taught guitarist) and am starting college in a month, so I wondered what books are out there (preferably in the UK) that I can splooge my bursary on.

I know how to play (fairly well, or so I am told) I just need to learn all the theory, especialy modes, I can't wrap my head round them. And how to aply them to playing.

I remeber one mentioned on GG but with the server down I can't find the thread. It had a strange name that was a play on words, and there was aseries of book covering differant aspects, and some DVD's aswell. They were highly recomended.

But yeah, anything that I will understand and benefit from would be awesome. Cheers.

I found an excellent book but it's in french though. Maybe there's an english version out there it's called the theory of music by Claude Abromont.

As for the theory for beginners, I don't think you have to buy any book. Just browse on the internet and you'll learn about intervals, progressions, modulation and so on

I kinda wanted something more complete than just for a beginner realy, something that would take me from where I am now to a good understanding of guitar theory.

Is the Grimoire worth getting? Even as a referance or do I have to understand theory to use it?

Back