Replacement Locking Tuners For Jackson

Metlupass2

Anyone know of a replacement locking tuner that has the same hole placement as a Jackson tuner? I want to add locking tuners to my Jackson PC-1.
Screenshot_20201111-213449_Reverb.jpg

Yup, they've always been Gotohs. But I have to ask, since locking tuners don't do anything for the tuning alongside a locking nut, is it to save a few seconds when you change strings?

It is faster to change strings. But some also feel that the lack of wraps (winds) changes the guitar strings reaction. I have had both. Obviously most music was written without the locking tuners. the only problem i have had with locking tuners is that sometimes the eye is too small to drop tune with some of the heavier guages.

Yup, they've always been Gotohs. But I have to ask, since locking tuners don't do anything for the tuning alongside a locking nut, is it to save a few seconds when you change strings?

Yeah I prefer locking tuners and it's much easier than winding.

I like having extra wraps on regular tuners for Floyd equipped guitars. When I pop a string, it's always down by the bridge. I just pull back some extra from the tuner wraps, re-lock at the saddle, tune to pitch, lock at the nut, and I'm back in action.

Anyone know of a replacement locking tuner that has the same hole placement as a Jackson tuner? I want to add locking tuners to my Jackson PC-1. View attachment 65432
I would also like to get some Jackson branded locking tuners. I know this thread is a little old but I saw Charvel had locking tuners, so figured Jackson would have some as well and sure enough came across this. I wonder if contacting Jackson directly would be worth a shot.

I would also like to get some Jackson branded locking tuners. I know this thread is a little old but I saw Charvel had locking tuners, so figured Jackson would have some as well and sure enough came across this. I wonder if contacting Jackson directly would be worth a shot.
I went with the Gotoh

I am specifically looking for the jackson branded locking tuners. I understand they may be exactly the same as the gotoh, but I need it to say Jackson. If I wanted non-jackson branded, there are a lot of different options I could order right now. When you own a Ferrari, you put Ferrari parts on it. I am looking for these, but in Black. I sent Jackson an email about ordering a set, I'll let y'all know if they allow the purchase or point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• jacksonlockingtun.png
    jacksonlockingtun.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 352
I am specifically looking for the jackson branded locking tuners. I understand they may be exactly the same as the gotoh, but I need it to say Jackson. If I wanted non-jackson branded, there are a lot of different options I could order right now. When you own a Ferrari, you put Ferrari parts on it. I am looking for these, but in Black. I sent Jackson an email about ordering a set, I'll let y'all know if they allow the purchase or point me in the right direction.
Well. The custom jacksons don't use jackson branded tuners. I doubt that jackson is going to sell you any. But good luck on your quest. Schaller locking tuners came on mine

Yeah, I think they are just offered on the imports and Schaller is the only locking tuner on the custom form I believe. I completely understand that Schaller makes the best stuff, just want those Jackson jams for aesthetic reasons. I don't think they will sell me any either.

I am going to look for a set of those Gotoh's in smoked chrome to replace the tuners on Pro Series Soloist I just picked up. Yes, it has a locking nut but I don't like the feel of the tuners when using them. Stiff and jumpy is the best way to describe them.

...When you own a Ferrari, you put Ferrari parts on it....
I completely agree. That is why all of my Jackson Custom Selects and Masterbuilts were spec’d with Schaller tuners. That’s what Jacksons used on my guitars back in ‘83-‘85.

By the way, I posted the Schaller link to show the four basic types of tuners. It is mostly about how the tuner mounts.

Jackson offers 3 options for tuners on the custom select form: Gotoh, Schaller non-locking, and Schaller locking... but on a Master Built you could get pretty much any tuner you want, at a premium of course.

Jackson doesn’t like selling parts. Won’t say they have never done it, but the answer I have always heard is that they only do warranty work. If you know someone in the JCS or are an endorsed artist with an assigned Master Builder... that is a completely different beast.

If you are going for maintaining all original parts then you need to determine if your guitar has Jackson die-cast tuners or Jackson branded Gotohs. Jackson has two flavors of branded tuners... and you will need to ensure your seller knows what they are talking about.

https://reverb.com/item/38383571-jackson-tuning-machines-6-l-black-meccaniche
https://reverb.com/item/39118296-jackson-tuner-machine-head-6-in-line-2020-black

Last edited:
Just get Hipshots with UMPs. No drilling necessary, and probably the smoothest I've ever used.

Ok.
Yeah, I think they are just offered on the imports and Schaller is the only locking tuner on the custom form I believe. I completely understand that Schaller makes the best stuff, just want those Jackson jams for aesthetic reasons. I don't think they will sell me any either.
I get it. I do wish these co.panies would sell stuff like this. Like supoosedly, if you have a bolton, it is better in case headstock breaks. But none of the major manufacturers will sell you a neck..

Ok.

I get it. I do wish these co.panies would sell stuff like this. Like supoosedly, if you have a bolton, it is better in case headstock breaks. But none of the major manufacturers will sell you a neck..
Yep, but they can do a warranty repair or replacement of a neck. Just went through that. Also got a replacement Floyd sent to me several years ago.., both situations were warranty claims.

They used to sell replacement necks but I haven’t seen a new woodburn replacement neck from Jackson in a very long time. You can still find them occasionally used.

Last edited:
Back