Revolt and Opus - adding Opus preamp as 4th channel

Ch4rlieMK

Hi Community,

I am solving the problem described on the attached picture. Basically I would like to use Revolt as 4th channel for the Revolt in the configuration shown on the picture. It is difficult to describe, so I created quite comprehensive diagram of my setup and problem description.

(see picture)

How it works:
- Revolt acts as central unit. Opus acts as unit in FX loop of Revolt playing the role of cab and mics emulation.
- Opus could play also role of preamp simulator and add another channel to Revolt. There is a problem though (manual switching is needed, see below).
- When I switch Revolt channel, MIDI signal configures Opus to specific preset. So I can have specific Opus settings (CAB, Mics, etc) per Revolt channel including boosts.
- This behaviour includes also bypass mode on Revolt, which selects full preamp preset on Opus.

Problem with REVOLT:
- When I am in Revolt normal mode
- when I activate bypass, effects loop is deactivated, so Opus and effects in the loop are deactivated. That means signal is not processed at all by any of the two.
- I need FX loop to be still functional, since Opus in loop can handle also specific Opus preamp instead of Revolt.
- This could add another, fully digital Opus channel to all three (or six with boosts) Revolt channels.
- When I am in Revolt 4-cable mode
- if bypass is activated on Revolt, FX loop is normally working and preset with preamp on Opus handle all neccessary to deliver the tone.
- but when I disable bypass mode by selecting any channel, FX loop is disabled, so no speaker and mics are emulated and time-effects are available

To overcome that:
- I have to manualy switch the 4cable switch to enalbe FX loop on Revolt when bypass mode is activated on Revolt.
- And I have to manually switch 4-cable switch to enable FX loop on Revolt when not in bypass mode.

Question:
- is there potentially any solution or Revolt setting, to keep FX loop enabled in normal mode even when I am in bypass mode?

Note:

- Of course solution could be to put Opus and Time effects after the Revolt out, which would solve the problem, except I will have no functional headphone out (mixer console is not part of the system when using headphones). In this case I have to add headphone amplifier (on second picture), which is additional HW.

Thanks for any hints.

Attachments

• Revolt-Opus diagram.png
    Revolt-Opus diagram.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Good morning @Ch4rlieMK

Thanks for reaching out and supplying such a comprehensive diagram / outline. Ross from Two notes here.

The issue you are encountering regarding the FX loop is part and parcel of the 4-CM / bypass routing within the unit and there is no immediate fix that can be actioned to remedy this when placing OPUS in your FX loop. As you have rightly noted, placing OPUS after ReVolt via the TRS out is the optimal solution here, however we understand you miss the opportunity to monitor via headphones. As such, in order to have a headphone monitoring solution, you will need a secondary mixer, interface or similar. Do you have an interface available?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Ross

Good morning @Ch4rlieMK

Thanks for reaching out and supplying such a comprehensive diagram / outline. Ross from Two notes here.

The issue you are encountering regarding the FX loop is part and parcel of the 4-CM / bypass routing within the unit and there is no immediate fix that can be actioned to remedy this when placing OPUS in your FX loop. As you have rightly noted, placing OPUS after ReVolt via the TRS out is the optimal solution here, however we understand you miss the opportunity to monitor via headphones. As such, in order to have a headphone monitoring solution, you will need a secondary mixer, interface or similar. Do you have an interface available?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Ross
Hi Ross,
thank you for the fast response.

When I look to Two Notes Knowledge Base- Opus and Revolt connection instructions, the recommended is to place Opus in FX loop together with time based effects.
But when FX loop is deactivated in 4cm mode, then Revolt loses cab/mic emulation and doesn't sound good (unless you manually switch emulation on Revolt). So this recommended setup is valid for Amp preamps, which is ok, but not for Opus. Opus should be recommended always to put after Revolt Out and not in FX loop.

Yes, I have headphone monitor amplifier, exactly as shown on second picture (and also I use that exact setup on my practice/travel pedal board).
I think, this should be then recommended setup :).

And the Revolt and Opus - really great products!!!

Kind regards,
Marek

Hi Marek, Thanks for getting back to us. We understand completely - however in your instance you are essentially adding OPUS' end-to-end signal processing as an additional amp sim in tandem with ReVolt. As such the 1/4-inch output is the best option here. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with today.

Back