San Dimas - How slinky is too slinky?

Flask28

PXL_20210307_223223424.jpg

I recently resetup my San Dimas with 9's tuned down a half step. I was using 9's before and I knew it would get a little looser feeling but woha, it's looooose at Eb. Not too much so, but on the edge of too much so if you know what I mean.

After a few weeks with it I've grown to like it, most aspects of it at least. Galloping and fast riffing is a little harder to pick and I'm working harder to keep fretted notes in tune. I feel like I have more control now, sorta, but my control needs some work. Like I stepped up in weights or something.

Am I crazy, should I be using 10's or 9/10 hybrids?

Last edited:
I use 10's and have 7 charvel with some in e flat and some standard. I find e flat picking feels different and more challenging for speed picking. Funny though i have been using heavy pics for decades and by mistake picked up a medium and noticed it was easier to control so now i use mediums only. I dig in alot to so mediums are forgiving and comfortable.

I love 9's in Eb. It's what I used to play as a teenager. I went through just about everything and came back to 9's in Eb. It's just like a comfortable pair of jeans and sounds great.

On my pointy guitars I kept dropping in tuning and playing heavier stuff to where now I'm in Drop C and running .11s and thinking of moving to .12s lol but I found my happy place. Going back to .09s now would be hard for me. I can bend fine with the thicker strings so that's all that matters to me.

I love 9's in Eb. It's what I used to play as a teenager. I went through just about everything and came back to 9's in Eb. It's just like a comfortable pair of jeans and sounds great.

Ok, yeah, I should have commented on that part - the axe has never sounded as good as it does right now. Part of why I've been making an effort to adapt to it. And outrageous 80's vibrato is pretty effortless. But doublestops are landing sour more often, for sure.

Fender 150's have higher string tension than nickel plated steel, like Ernie Ball slinky's.

>Let that sink in<

>Unpacked enough for you?<

hehehehe

I kid, I kid.

I prefer 10s at Eb.

I wish there were hybrid sets that were the reverse of the usuals ones - thick tops, light bottoms. The Pam Anderson model.

Fender 150's have higher string tension than nickel plated steel, like Ernie Ball slinky's.

>Let that sink in<

>Unpacked enough for you?<

hehehehe

I kid, I kid.

Yeah, no, I caught it the first time. I would have slung it back if you weren't on to something. :)

A few days ago I did try a set of 9.5 - 44 in Eb in one guitar. It was good too, not a drastic difference. Now that it’s been in one guitar for a few days I can’t tell much of a difference when I switch between guitars.

Back