San Dimas - How slinky is too slinky?

I use 10’s on my Charvel in E flat. However, I change out the 13 and 17 for a 12 and 16. Feels perfect. So it’s 10-12-16-26-36-46

Finger strength differs a lot between individuals, as does preference for feel and playing style (not to mention other obvious variables like tuning and scale length). You should always go with what feels right to you, this is like saying what size shoes do you like to wear.

Also, the better your technique gets, the less it tends to matter even though you may still have a general preference (unless you go really extreme one way or the other).

I love playing in e flat especially van halen, dokken and ratt stuff but some stuff doesn't sound as good so i keep some guitars in standard.

I typically play 0.10-0.46 in Eb, some Les Pauls in Eb 0.11-0.48, but when playing a 2hr live show, that does wear your fingertips out a bit.
When I bought my Kramer SM-1, it was loaded with 9's, tuned in E and I loved the slinky feel; that guitar was just *meant* for shredding...
however, since I have a rather heavy riffing hand (think Skolnick meets Schaffer), I felt the bottom strings were too light.
Most of the time I'll use Ernie Balls; recently discovered the Hybrid Slinky set, so that's planned to go on that guitar.
For Eb you may be able to get away with it, although a 0.09 E tuned to Eb gets pretty rubbery to me.
GHS has a 0.095-0.44 set that may be right up yer alley. I enjoyed their Gilmour sig strings (0.10-0.48 and 0.105-0.50).
Otherwise, good experiences with Elixir Optiwebs (their last ones; that feel like regular strings) and Dunlop Heavy Core Heavy (0.10-0.48). those are harder to bend though...

I got a guitar in trade once that had 9.5 to 46 on it and they honestly felt almost identical to 10 to 46. Just notice it on the high e and g strings felt a tad more slinky. I changed them to reg 10 to 46 after a week. Lol i hate when i am playing at low volume and the e string snaps ......pow! Scares the crap out of me. At high volume though it doesn't scare me.

I typically play 0.10-0.46 in Eb, some Les Pauls in Eb 0.11-0.48, but when playing a 2hr live show, that does wear your fingertips out a bit.
When I bought my Kramer SM-1, it was loaded with 9's, tuned in E and I loved the slinky feel; that guitar was just *meant* for shredding...
however, since I have a rather heavy riffing hand (think Skolnick meets Schaffer), I felt the bottom strings were too light.
Most of the time I'll use Ernie Balls; recently discovered the Hybrid Slinky set, so that's planned to go on that guitar.
For Eb you may be able to get away with it, although a 0.09 E tuned to Eb gets pretty rubbery to me.
GHS has a 0.095-0.44 set that may be right up yer alley. I enjoyed their Gilmour sig strings (0.10-0.48 and 0.105-0.50).
Otherwise, good experiences with Elixir Optiwebs (their last ones; that feel like regular strings) and Dunlop Heavy Core Heavy (0.10-0.48). those are harder to bend though...

Thank you! That's really interesting, few other friends mentioned the Opitwebs. I'm using Super Slinky 9-42 right now. Over the last 15ish years I moved from those 9's to the hybrid slinky 9-46 set. But I went back to 9's on this guitar for the Eb tuning because 80's, right?

But I want to give the Boomers @Speeddemon mentioned a shot now too.

View attachment 72138

I recently resetup my San Dimas with 9's tuned down a half step. I was using 9's before and I knew it would get a little looser feeling but woha, it's looooose at Eb. Not too much so, but on the edge of too much so if you know what I mean.

After a few weeks with it I've grown to like it, most aspects of it at least. Galloping and fast riffing is a little harder to pick and I'm working harder to keep fretted notes in tune. I feel like I have more control now, sorta, but my control needs some work. Like I stepped up in weights or something.

Am I crazy, should I be using 10's or 9/10 hybrids?

i love 9s tuned down a half step. my arm nearly got ripped off in a car wreck, so i had to relearn to use my hand again. i started playing 9s tuned down half step and never looked back, love it!

View attachment 72138

I recently resetup my San Dimas with 9's tuned down a half step. I was using 9's before and I knew it would get a little looser feeling but woha, it's looooose at Eb. Not too much so, but on the edge of too much so if you know what I mean.

After a few weeks with it I've grown to like it, most aspects of it at least. Galloping and fast riffing is a little harder to pick and I'm working harder to keep fretted notes in tune. I feel like I have more control now, sorta, but my control needs some work. Like I stepped up in weights or something.

Am I crazy, should I be using 10's or 9/10 hybrids?
10's.

Back