San Dimas inspired build in Korina

Killcrop

I chipped away at building a San Dimas inspired guitar this year. I found a super light weight body 3lbs 7 oz on Musikraft site. Its a one piece Korina body. I probably paid too much for it but its not easy finding clean white korina that is light weight. Anyway, I splurged for a AAAA roasted neck to finish it off. I had to wait forever to get a Floyd Rose on order. Covid bs. The whole guitar is 6lbs 11oz.

I never set up a Floyd guitar from scratch so I had some learning to do. The end result is excellent. The guitar plays great but sounds awesome. The Pickup is a JB Trembucker. I build two Korina guitars this year. The other is a Korina Tele. Body and Neck. That one is killer too. I had custom decals made. I guess my brand is Big Wave Guitars. Ha!

uhMLWso.jpg

v1Y07QA.jpg

cGmPFSW.jpg

gomKpEp.jpg

trS8VL6.jpg

n4wckUZ.jpg

In case you are wondering I finished the body in Truoil. I actually used a sealer after finish sanding the body with 330g. I then used Auqacoat mixed with brown dye to fill the pores. Resanded and started applying light coats of Truoil. About 12 of them then let the guitar dry for a few weeks. The neck was roasted and I applied about 5 light coats of Tru oil as well. After the body was good and hard, I buffed it out with 3M finishing polish for a semi gloss finish. The Tele was done the same way. I should point out that after about 2 coats, I would buff with 000 steel wool and blow off the dust and wool with a compressor. The body was not angled from Musikraft so I bough a 1 degree shim from Stewmac. It was a rip off but was the right part for the build. You will notice in one of the pics there is a chrome neck screw on the neck plate. I somehow lost one of the black screws in the shop. I have no idea where it went. I had to order another Gotoh neck plate to get the matching screw. If anyone needs a neck plate and 3 screw, holla! Oh and water slide decals are still a bitch to get right after all these years.

That looks great! Korina, Floyd, and a JB? That’s my kind of superstrat right there. That tele looks nice too!

It's really cool. My curiosity makes me wonder what it would have looked like stained darker, or a rosewood neck, etc, etc, etc :LOL:

How does it sound?
Fat with some sweet upper mids. Not too bright but lots of bite. Just the right amount of compression too. Really got lucky with this one.

The Tele sounds like a Les Paul.

Love Korina but I like the deeper golden finish personally. Killer axe, enjoy!!

Last edited:
Great job. Both guitars are beautiful. I love that the tele has a humbucker in the neck and that the strat is 1 hum witb a Floyd.

I had a Dean Custom Shop Nash Vegas in Korina that could have been the kissing cousin of your guitar. I prefer the look of the neck on yours though! This is what the one I had looked like:

omguoofmu5ebi0jwjiyh.jpg

Back