Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound vs. DiMarzio SDS-1? Or anything else?

Rex Rocker

So I have a DiMarzio SDS-1 in the neck position of my Strat. It's OK. I don't hate it, but I don't love it. I want to replace it for something that matches better with the Nazgul I have in the bridge.

I like that it's loud and punchy. I like that it's not thin or weak like a standard Strat single coil.

I don't like that the high-end is kinda raspy and ugly. Normally, I like that. The Gibson 500T in my Les Paul is kinda like that. The SDS-1 would probaby be a good match for a 500T. But the Nazgul's high-end is more refined. So I want something smoother in there.

BTW, right now, I have a 500K pot for both pickups, but the SDS-1 has a 1 Meg resistor wired in so that it sees roughly 300K. I'm not sure I want to keep the SDS-1 overall, though, even if can further darken it a bit, as the low-end is also kinda dirty and undefined. It's not that it's too much. It's just that it's kind of messy.

I remember I used to have a QP in a Squire Esquire that I loved since it was jangly and twangy like a single coil, but it was not thin, weak, and scratchy like a regular Fender-esque single coil. I wonder if the QP would be the ticket here.

What other options do you guys suggest?

Back