Shawn Lane ...Once again!

PBGas

Very sad that we never got to see more from him but thankful that we have what we have.

Monkey Man

Super Moderator
Pity he rushed many of the repetitive parts as it doesn't do the great man justice IMHO.

Maybe the meds...

tonedog

He rushed nothing and his burning at the end would have been great for anther five minutes Best guitar player ever

tonedog

What is crazy is there are several good guys out there that can copy Holdsworth and other greats but nobody does a good Shawn lane.

gtrwun

What is crazy is there are several good guys out there that can copy Holdsworth and other greats but nobody does a good Shawn lane.
I agree. Nobody does an accurate Holdsworth, but some guys cop his vibe for sure.

Nobody even attempts to get Shawn vibes. He was a great, great talent.

Kapo_Polenton

Considering I just finished watching a bit of Poison's stadium tour performance with CC playing absolutely horrendous lead guitar, this seems like it comes from another planet. Amazing playing. So clean and full of soul. He really did put it together nicely.

For the record, CC plays tight rythm, he's just a terrible lead guitar player.

Monkey Man

Super Moderator
He rushed nothing
1:40 a little bit for example.

They weren't biggies for a live situation but if I were recording him I'd have got him to play a few short phrases again. :gethim: :LOL:

TBH in retrospect it was a bit harsh of me to even bring it up. :cheers:

sivad

I got to see Shawn play a few times in some small clubs and he was really something. He also had some odd gear choices.

ewill52

Considering I just finished watching a bit of Poison's stadium tour performance with CC playing absolutely horrendous lead guitar, this seems like it comes from another planet. Amazing playing. So clean and full of soul. He really did put it together nicely.

For the record, CC plays tight rythm, he's just a terrible lead guitar player.
i went and watched some of it. He's so frenetic and his vibrato sounds like my mom's vibrator on the strings. I'm always torn ripping on him because I've always considered what he does on stage as more performance art than a real attempt at musical execution. TBH, i've been in bands where they really wanted you to put on a show. It's reallly tough to execute fantastic guitar (for me) while I'm trying to jump off the stacks and swing from the rafters.

people in the crowd loved it, i'm sure it was big-time nostalgia. Dudes all look sober on stage, put on a good show.

Shawn is just an alien. not of this world.

Kapo_Polenton

i went and watched some of it. He's so frenetic and his vibrato sounds like my mom's vibrator on the strings. I'm always torn ripping on him because I've always considered what he does on stage as more performance art than a real attempt at musical execution. TBH, i've been in bands where they really wanted you to put on a show. It's reallly tough to execute fantastic guitar (for me) while I'm trying to jump off the stacks and swing from the rafters.

people in the crowd loved it, i'm sure it was big-time nostalgia. Dudes all look sober on stage, put on a good show.

Shawn is just an alien. not of this world.

lol so true that vibrato is so cringe. I think you are right. I had the same take away when he was high out of his mind and I saw them in 87 or 88. They were def. not as tight but even as a kid I was like, his lead guitar playing is shit. He does run around a lot but I think if he just played it at least like the album instead of trying all these fast alternate picking runs, he'd be way better. But that said, they are super tight now as a band. It is impressive for them.