Should I sell or keep my Jubilee?

koalasaurus

Hello all! First time posting here but I always enjoy the responses here and how helpful everyone is so with that..

I have an '89 Jubilee 2555 with brand new Mullard power tubes and original preamps and refreshed by one of the Bay Area's best amp techs. Beautiful amp, love the tone, but it's a big one to lug around and fit in the car and all. I had an itch to downsize and go with an EVH 5150iii (still debating versions) but I think I can get really similar tonewise while having the added versatility of the added red channel for my metal episodes. Typically I do hard rock and heavy blues (Angus Young, Slash, the usuals). Would also be snagging up the matching cab with G12s of course.

So would I be nuts to do that? It seems like I can make a decent trade with a profit and save my poor back. I haven't really found any comparisons of this nature so far.

Last edited:
I would go with a mini Jube instead. Had a 5153 EL34 50 watt a year or so ago and a mini Jube earlier this year. The 5153 is more of a modern tone with way too much gain on the red channel. Would most likely want to drop a 5751 in V2 to help tame it but even then, the red channel is gain overload. Both are much easier to move around than the full size 2555 for sure. I am interested in picking up another EL34 version however and trying the simple mod to tighten up the blue channel.

If you love the 2555, go with the mini Jube. If you are looking for something different, used 5153's are easy to find.

Everyone [self included] who ever got rid of a Marshall regretted it. And not just for a little while. Talking 40 year regrets.
Keep that fugger.

Yeah you all are right, thanks for the unanimous votes and awesome suggestions. I'll just be an adult and deal with the size, it's too amazing of an amp to let go. I guess I just really wanted affirmation haha.

If you can I would get the mini silver jubilee where you can return it and see if it works for you. Then decide if you need the big 2555 too or if you can let that go.

Another option is the 50W small box 2553, which is what I have. Its in the load 40lbs weight wise, but won't have the punch of your 2555.

The 5150 III 100w heads are larger and heavier. I've had both. I sold my first 2555x and regretted it after a while. I got another one about two months ago. I still have a love/like relationship with it, but it's a keeper. My 1987xl is my never-sell-ever amp.

If you can I would get the mini silver jubilee where you can return it and see if it works for you. Then decide if you need the big 2555 too or if you can let that go.

This! If you love the Jube (and why wouldn't you; incredible amps!) you should definitely be looking at the Mini Jube instead of a 5153

About 15 years ago, I picked up an 89 2550 50 watt Jubilee head. To this day I regret selling it for a "modern channel switcher." I paid $350 for the head because it was missing the Marshall logo. Sold it for $1k after owning it for about five years. I still miss that amp. I have played the reissues, and they just don't feel the same. If you can swing the EVH amp without selling your Jubilee, then that is what I would suggest.

Like others I say keep it. Just grab a mini Jube or a 5153. Add one to your arsenal..you don’t want the gear regret you would have after selling.

I agree brother, there’s nothing like having that terrible gut-wrenching regret after you sell something?
My last one was a Mint Steavens 100W Poundcake?

Last edited:
I recently picked up a mint 1989 Jubilee 2555. Surprised at how good these amps are. Don't think I'd sell it.

Back