Split coil humbuckers - Loss of power?

keano

I like diversity and play Les Paul's. I want to get two of them with split coils. Will this result in loss of power or be minimal to notice?

Also what are good coils to split? I am wanting a Rebel Yell. I already have a JB. Curious about Nailbomb.

if you want the SD and dimarzio rundown...

JB will split nicely

so will a duncan custom

alnico 2 pro necks split real nice

evolution (first version) both neck and bridge sound great split'

so does a tone zone.

you can also choose to split the outer or inner coils...and that makes a difference.
i like the inside coil on the bridge and the outside to be active on the neck (to which, both coils closest to headstock would be active)

Thanks for that feedback. I was thinking JB as a good option since I have it. Tonezone is similar to the EVH pickups I heard. I wonder would it be too dark for a LP though.

In general the hotter the humbucker, the better I find it splits. You might also consider running the pickup coils in parallel as an option, you still get noiseless operation that way. SD has their triple shot pickup rings that allows you to switch between series, parallel and coils split options, pretty cool. On my Les Pauls I just use Push pull pots for the tone and went with splitting.

Fralin Unbuckers are designed with splitting in mind. One coil is hotter than the other and that is the one that is active when you split. I like the concept and the clips I heard sounded really good. Might not be hot enough for you though. These are about 9.0K.

the feedback I got from Luxxtone and Bare knuckles is the same as you guys hotter pickup is best.

I have split coils on my LP, I guess it makes sense that if you use half of the coil you get half of the volume. I do like a few combinations of the tones available, but I rarely use them because of that.

Since I don't use my tone control I had it turned into a gradual coil spliter. As I turn it down it goes from full on humbucker gradually to a single coil and EVERY thing in between. This gives me a bunch more tones.

Series is a regular humbucker where the south of one coil attaches to the north of another.
Parallel is where each coils north and south are connected together, the south goes to ground, the north to the switch.

Positions 2 and 4 on a strat are parallel.
Or middle position on a tele.
A humbucker set to parallel doesn't sound quite the same as either of these because the coils are physically close together but it isn't too far away.

They aren't as loud as a series humbucker but they aren't as soft as a coil tap.
Worth trying.

amiller":33wig49p said:
Since I don't use my tone control I had it turned into a gradual coil spliter. As I turn it down it goes from full on humbucker gradually to a single coil and EVERY thing in between. This gives me a bunch more tones.

That would be the coolest thing I've heard in a long time if it didn't mean I lost my tone control. Gotta have it. :yes:

amiller":17k12y52 said:

Any more details on this ? Sounds interesting.

snowdog":ffsg4uez said:
amiller":ffsg4uez said:

Any more details on this ? Sounds interesting.

yeah, i'd like to hear more. trying to think up the wiring for it right now.....

Back