Steampunked Rebel 30

thickwood

:D Well I run 11 tubes in it instead of 9 so this calls for 2 double tube socket adapters ! lol

I received 2-6av6 adapters made for me that are pinned to a 9 pin adapter that plugs into where my 12ax7 tubes go.
Therefor 2-6av6 tubes actually were put in one glass tube to create the 12ax7 tube back in the 1950s or 60s?

Since the 6av6 tubes were replaced with 12ax7 tubes the Vintage market price collapsed on the 6av6 tubes.
I have a group of cheaply bought Amperex-Mullard-Telefunken-Valvo 6AV6 tubes and others non USA are better sounding it turned out.

Bruce says the Egnater amps can handle some over spec heater drawing tubes so it has been fine. I think im .6amp over normal.

The insane part is the sound ive gotten going here, Bruce would luv to hear it I bet !
I just identified the OD 12ax7 tube that really set it off , the NOS testing 12ax7 tube is a 3 rung ladder plate 12ax7 Telefunken tube lol.
That baby has the most harmonic sweet overdrive ive ever had on it at medium breakup .

I thought Telefunken smooth plate 12ax7 were too bright but I never had a ladder plate Telefunken ax7 before ?
Perhaps this design has been over looked because the Smooth plate Tele is bright as hell when I tried one awhile back.

If that's true this post may actually help you guys out if you can find one , if I see one reasonable I will get it.
Mine was thought to be a GE when I bought it, no label could be seen on it but the seller thought it a GE !

Hint- if your amp seems to bright or harsh and you like a slight Delay, get the Vox Deca delay pedal .
It has those natural sounding analoge bucket brigade chips and 3 of them for longer delay if you want it, but it smooths highs out marvelous !
I have one and slide guitar sounds fantastic with it slightly set low intensity, its the best I have found .

Looking into the back of the amp is Steampunk galore and very cool but super functional .
The only currently made tubes in it are a Sovtek 12ax7Lps phase inverter tube and all jj tesla power tubes .
On Ch-2 OD channel the volume at 1 is too loud for my roommates lol ! so it .5 lol

V1-Ken-Rad 6av6 for Ch 2 a Mullard 6av6 for Ch1 Each tube drives a different channel on the R30
V2-OD tube is a Ladder plate Telefunken 12ax7
V3-RCA long gray plate 12ax7 EQ socket
V4-Telefunken and Amperex 6av6 tubes FX loop
V5 Sovtek 12ax7Lps tube phase inverter

The 6av6 tubes sound surprisingly different in that a Amperex 12ax7 I have are bright and detailed sound but the 6av6 is harmonic and warm like the Mullard 12ax7 ?
Same with the Telefunken 6av6 as it is excellent in guitar amps I have !

All my tubes test in the New NOS range and its strong as hell , I am done retubing and dang it the fun is over !
I learned a lot listening too each tube change and how they interact is unpredictable I think due too impedence and plate signal and voltage quirks.
I never had it sounding this awesome before .
Those guys with a Rebel 20 need to buy a Tungsram 12ax7 as it brings in a harmonic overdrive and tames the highs that bite ya as I found out.
That amp luvs that tube ! imop

I am blessed with the ability to hear the difference in each tube change and what is good or not !
I am also obsessed with getting the best sound with what I have .
No positive things happen for you doing Cocaine or alcohol so my addiction is Guitars making music & sound .

No top 40 BS here, some bands wonder why clubs bring in a DJ ?
That's exactly what they sound like and a DJ is cheaper imop .

Back