Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups question for those who use them.

Fret-Shredder

This is an interesting pickup. I put a set of these in my 2020 Les Paul Standard. The guitar came with burstbuckers which sounded fine I just wanted something a bit hotter which is why I chose the Aldrich. At 17k in the bridge you would think it would be super gainey but it's nothing like that. Whats weird is these seems less compressed and more clear if that makes sense. Here's my question... For you guys that have them what height do you think they sound best set at? I have the bridge about an 1/8th of an inch high off the pickup ring. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20220117_104513.jpg
    20220117_104513.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 58
  • 20220117_104501.jpg
    20220117_104501.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 57
I usually start with two nickels worth of gap on the bass side (use them like a feeler gauge). On the treble side, I'll use one nickel gap. Then, I will play clean cowboy chords and adjust the height slightly until it sounds balanced. YMMV.

Last edited:
I know Im not much help but I have mine way higher. Probably half of the way of the space you have left. I too, wanted a hotter pickup and the aldrich was exactly what I wanted.

I put them in a PRS, and didn't really deviate from what I'd normally do, height-wise. 2-2.5mm on the bass side, closer to 1.5-2mm on the treble side.

I just got off the phone with Suhr. Here is their recommended procedure. They told me for the Bridge pickup to press and hold the low E at the highest fret then measure 7/64 from the top of the pick up to the string. And for the Neck pickup do the same with the high E string and measure from the top of the pickup 5/64 to the string. Sheeeeesh. I was looking on my ruler and my 56 year old eyes are having trouble seeing those lines. 😆 🤣 😂 Are you guys depressing the string like that or just measuring from the top of the pickup to the string.

This is an interesting pickup. I put a set of these in my 2020 Les Paul Standard. The guitar came with burstbuckers which sounded fine I just wanted something a bit hotter which is why I chose the Aldrich. At 17k in the bridge you would think it would be super gainey but it's nothing like that. Whats weird is these seems less compressed and more clear if that makes sense. Here's my question... For you guys that have them what height do you think they sound best set at? I have the bridge about an 1/8th of an inch high off the pickup ring. Thanks in advance.
Perhaps you know and It's just the words you chose. The right pickup height has nothing to do with the pickup ring...

I was just saying I started out with the top of the pickup flush with the top of the pickup ring and knew it was too low at that point. I understand what you are saying and that I'm supposed to measure from the top face of the pickup to the string.

I just got off the phone with Suhr. Here is their recommended procedure. They told me for the Bridge pickup to press and hold the low E at the highest fret then measure 7/64 from the top of the pick up to the string. And for the Neck pickup do the same with the high E string and measure from the top of the pickup 5/64 to the string. Sheeeeesh. I was looking on my ruler and my 56 year old eyes are having trouble seeing those lines. 😆 🤣 😂 Are you guys depressing the string like that or just measuring from the top of the pickup to the string.
I depress the strings like that as well. Those are also good starting points for height. My guess is he's measuring to the top of the screw pieces and not the bobbin. When I'm swapping pickups, I always start at around 5/64 at both sides (7/64 on bass would be fine too). You're really just trying to get a good starting point and then ultimately adjust by ear after that if needed. I make adjustments in 1/4-1/2 turns as well. The nickel technique chumbucket mentioned is perfect to get started too if you don't have a ruler or if the lines are too small to see. That'll put you around 5/64 & 10/64 using 1 under the treble and 2 under the bass.

I had a 2008 Gibson Standard and put one of those in the bridge. My band did classic rock up to hard rock and metal and o could cover them all. Such a singing, sweet tone from the Aldrich and not what people would expect.

With no frets depressed, I had mine set with the neck 3.86mm on low E and 5.05mm on the high E
Bridge pickup was 2.97mm on the low E and 2.35mm on the high E.

I guess the standard way to do it is to depress the last fret and measure, but not sure it matters as long as you are consistent.

Back