Tell me about the Series 1 MESA Single Rectifier

Samhain

Banned
mesa-single-rectifier.jpg

I have a chance to score one this weekend.

Yeah, of all the recto versions I've tried, I think the 50watt single rec was the most lacklustre of them all.
Fizz for days....
The OPT's are a joke. Way to small. they have what looks like a Deluxe reverb OPT.
Avoid, unless its stupid cheap, and then mod it.

mesa-single-rectifier.jpg

I have a chance to score one this weekend.

I say try it. I had a early series 1 single rectifier a while ago and it was totally cool. Check out this clip and look at my settings. Gain is at noon on the Vintage setting. At the 45 second mark I turn on my Bion boost (set pretty subtly). The only thing I really didn’t like about it (and every Mesa I’ve tried) is the slight lag when switching channels.

I say try it. I had a early series 1 single rectifier a while ago and it was totally cool. Check out this clip and look at my settings. Gain is at noon on the Vintage setting. At the 45 second mark I turn on my Bion boost (set pretty subtly). The only thing I really didn’t like about it (and every Mesa I’ve tried) is the slight lag when switching channels.

Sounds good to me. I already have a 3 channel Dual Rec. I may get a good deal on Saturday. Thanks for taking the time to share your clip. :thumbsup:

Wow, sounds much better than I expected. All your clips sound good though. Must be that First Act guitar. ;)

Mine is not fizzy but it is a Rectoverb version and a Series II if that matters. I guess that is relative too though. I find a lot of Marshalls and Peaveys more fizzy. YMMV.

I believe the big differences between Series 1 and 2 is that the second series had a bias switch built into the back of the amp to switch between 6L6 and EL34 variants. I believe they also improved the Loop. I don't have too much trouble with my Loop - I mean I throw a lot at it. Maybe some day I will have a Dual Rec but for now I'm happy.

Also - I only paid $500 for my head so I can't see paying much more especially for a Series 1.

Last edited:
The original Series I Single Recto is a cool amp. It doesn’t have the earth shaking lows and low mids of the Dual/Triple, but it’s punchy and has “that” sound. It’s also physically light weight to carry around compared the others, or at least felt that way to me when I had them all.

I love the single recs..only thing i missed is being able to run orange cloned to modern. To me; they sounded like a recto, and i like really being able to open up the power section. i tend to like 50 watters better these days, to be able to run the master up to at least 4 or 5, and get the power tubes involved in the tone...

OK.

Not as good as Bubba's :D nor the other clips out there but I banged this out for you while smoking a turkey.

Still learning how to use my new Zoom G2 cam and playing guitar in general :LOL:

No boost.

Back