Tell me about the Suhr Pete Thorn guitar

ledvedder

Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase my next guitar. The PT model is very intriguing to me. I've always leaned toward super strat style guitars. And this one seems to fit the bill, and also seems to meet a very high standard for quality. I've spent way too much money buying less expensive guitars, with the hopes that I'd be able to do a few upgrades and turn them into keepers that I'd love. Through the years, my only true keepers have been my '98 Peavey Wolfgang, and my Les Paul Classic (although I could do without its weight).

I'd love to hear some real world, every day reviews and opinions about the Suhr Pete Thorn model. As well as ask if it is truly worth its price tag?

I got one. It's amazing. The build quality, you can feel it the moment you pick it up. It's tight, resonant and plays so smoothly. I did need to adjust it a little to suit, mainly via an easy truss rod adjustment. I got a broad collection of guitars collected over 30+ years, the PT is my favourite

I got one. It's amazing. The build quality, you can feel it the moment you pick it up. It's tight, resonant and plays so smoothly. I did need to adjust it a little to suit, mainly via an easy truss rod adjustment. I got a broad collection of guitars collected over 30+ years, the PT is my favourite
Thats how I felt with my Mayones. It made my other guitars feel like toys. Its hard to explain but it felt just solid like sitting on a cheap piece of furniture then moving to an expensive hardwood one. I ordered an Aviator custom and based it on the PT as far as specs go. I really dig the Suhr Modern, the Andy Wood, and the Pete Thorn but then I see the price tag and I cant do it. Maybe one day...

I had a 2019 ocean turquoise with the wilkinson locking bridge. Phenomenal guitars. I see them sell used in the $2400-$2800 range which is certainly better than the new MSRP. The Good - Fit, finish, playability, and tone are off the charts imo. The Thornbucker+ in the bridge isnt terribly hot so depending on what your preferences are, you might want to swap it out or use a boost pedal. The only reason I sold it, even though it played amazingly well, is the nut width/neck thickness. Super easy to play but still felt a little small in my hand, feeling just a tad cramped when chording. If it had a wider / thicker neck I'd likely still have it. The wilkinson is basically the same bridge as the gotoh just with a locking screw on the saddles. Tuning was rock solid at all times but my other guitars with the Gotoh 510 bridge more or less are as well... The pickup switching is great too. all the humbucker tones available with the neck single coil tone there too. Very versatile and great sounding/playing guitar.

A Charvel Pro Mod or So Cal would be a better bargain for the price IMO.
Not a MIM for sure. As much as I love Charvels you’d have to go USA to get to the ballpark of the Suhr and with the current market your in Suhr $$$ territory for pricing

Not a MIM for sure. As much as I love Charvels you’d have to go USA to get to the ballpark of the Suhr and with the current market your in Suhr $$$ territory for pricing

I respect your opinion based on valid points but for me after 40+ years from a players point of view and having just bought a Pro Mod for me the differences between USA & MIM other than resale are minimal.
FWIW Fender Mexico is making some really good guitars for the money.

Of course many of us had humble beginnings in the 1970's so todays guitars seem super nice compared.

I respect your opinion based on valid points but for me after 40+ years from a players point of view and having just bought a Pro Mod for me the differences between USA & MIM other than resale are minimal.
FWIW Fender Mexico is making some really good guitars for the money.

Of course many of us had humble beginnings in the 1970's so todays guitars seem super nice compared.
How many USA Charvels have you played? For me, after 20+ USAs (08/09, Custom shops) the difference between them and any of the MiM I’ve played is astounding. Sorry, they’re like a Chinese clone of the USAs I’ve owned.

How many USA Charvels have you played? For me, after 20+ USAs (08/09, Custom shops) the difference between them and any of the MiM I’ve played is astounding. Sorry, they’re like a Chinese clone of the USAs I’ve owned.
Mostly Japan new & old.

Mostly Japan new & old.
The MIJ line in 11/12 were almost dead on to the 08/09 USAs; nice…but quite a few that I’ve played were stiff. VS the 08/09 USAs that a few, not all, play even better than the original early 80s USAs I’ve owned. Better than the 3 custom shop versions. I still have 2 from 08/09. Just effortless to play and are nice sounding. I have a theory that the very early pro mods were built in the custom shop, before the assembly line was up and running. Some of those early ones also had custom shop plates.

Back