Thinking about putting a Streed Rod on order, but...

War_in_D

...I'm not sure if I want Scott to build it as a 2x12 (if possible), or I might just decide to have it built as a head. Looking for something similar to my Quick Rod, but better portability. I recently got the itch to buy another Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 Combo to replace one I sold years ago to help my wife (then girlfriend) buy a car. I found one on GC used, and long story short.. it got destroyed in shipping so it got returned. By the time I was done with shipping and tax, it was pretty close to the price of ordering a brand new 1x12 Street Rod from Scott. Anyone here got one, and can tell me how it differs from the Quick Rod with regard to being lower wattage?

Well, see my avatar pic to the left, I've got a Street Rod combo with the matching 1x12 cab. I love it! From what I understand the SR is basically the QR circuit in a 40 watt model. The latest QR has more features though (classic mode, drop b? etc...). I haven't heard many QR's live but the SR is really good. I have a Creamback 65 in the combo itself and a greenback in the extension cab and the two blend together really nicely.

Power wise, all the SR is are freaking loud. I use the loop volume as a master volume and I've very rarely gone over 50%. Channel volumes are at about 8:30 for the clean and 9:30 for the dirty. Portability is easy, I've got casters on the extension cab (also on the combo) so I just roll it where it needs to be. The combo is very heavy though so be warned if you're not going to be wheeling it, it's a monster. Your call on how that compares to the portability of a heavy QR head and a 4x12 (assuming you're using a 4x12)

As far as filling the room with sound, again the SR at 40 watts is plenty. I often get told to turn down but don't we all?!

Good luck! If you have any questions fire away.

Edit: I don't think you can get a SR as a 2x12 combo unfortunately, but a SR head and a 2x12 would work. :cool:

Last edited:
Well, see my avatar pic to the left, I've got a Street Rod combo with the matching 1x12 cab. I love it! From what I understand the SR is basically the QR circuit in a 40 watt model. The latest QR has more features though (classic mode, drop b? etc...). I haven't heard many QR's live but the SR is really good. I have a Creamback 65 in the combo itself and a greenback in the extension cab and the two blend together really nicely.

Power wise, all the SR is are freaking loud. I use the loop volume as a master volume and I've very rarely gone over 50%. Channel volumes are at about 8:30 for the clean and 9:30 for the dirty. Portability is easy, I've got casters on the extension cab (also on the combo) so I just roll it where it needs to be. The combo is very heavy though so be warned if you're not going to be wheeling it, it's a monster. Your call on how that compares to the portability of a heavy QR head and a 4x12 (assuming you're using a 4x12)

As far as filling the room with sound, again the SR at 40 watts is plenty. I often get told to turn down but don't we all?!

Good luck! If you have any questions fire away.

Edit: I don't think you can get a SR as a 2x12 combo unfortunately, but a SR head and a 2x12 would work. :cool:

Good info, appreciate that. I do use my QR with a 4x12 cab, but weight isn't my main concern really. Just bulk, and I'm looking for something with lower wattage so I can open it up. The idea of the SR on half power appeals to me in that respect. I don't play out any more, but I'm getting the itch to maybe start playing with other folks when the opportunity presents itself. So, I'm mainly looking for something more portable than a 4x12 cab. Something I can throw into the back of the truck cab, and not have fight to lift a 4x12 into the bed of the truck, strap it down, etc.. I already have a Suhr 1x12 cab, loaded with a Celestion V-Type as a "test platform" for speakers if I decided to go with the SR head so I'm covered on a cab for now and could always move up to a 2x12 cab if I felt the need. And, if I did go with the SR head, I would have it built into the smallest head case that would accomodate it.

The more I think about it, the head is probably going to be the way to go.

Good info, appreciate that. I do use my QR with a 4x12 cab, but weight isn't my main concern really. Just bulk, and I'm looking for something with lower wattage so I can open it up. The idea of the SR on half power appeals to me in that respect. I don't play out any more, but I'm getting the itch to maybe start playing with other folks when the opportunity presents itself. So, I'm mainly looking for something more portable than a 4x12 cab. Something I can throw into the back of the truck cab, and not have fight to lift a 4x12 into the bed of the truck, strap it down, etc.. I already have a Suhr 1x12 cab, loaded with a Celestion V-Type as a "test platform" for speakers if I decided to go with the SR head so I'm covered on a cab for now and could always move up to a 2x12 cab if I felt the need. And, if I did go with the SR head, I would have it built into the smallest head case that would accomodate it.

The more I think about it, the head is probably going to be the way to go.
Be aware the half power on the Street Rod isn't that great... it loses "oomph" to my ears, using the loop volume to turn down sounds better than using the half power switch.

Well, I ended up finding another Mesa Roadster Combo.. Hopefully, it makes it here in one piece. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on it, mainly due to the fact that they are no longer made and I really wanted one to replace the one I had sold. I'm still toying with the idea of a Street Rod head though, but it's going to be a little while now. Gotta get this one paid off first. LOL

So, after talking to Scott today about the Street Rod Head.. He said that he used to build the Street Rod as a head in the past, but everyone had an issue with the controls being "upside down" because it was based off the Combo and how those controls were set up. He kept getting asked if he could build it with the controls on the botom. So, that was when the mid-sized Quick Rod was born. Since the Street Rod is basically just the lower wattage version of the QR, and people were so hung up on the way the SR head looked.. he just decided to build a lower watt/more compact version of the QR with the controls on the bottom of the head like everyone was wanting. We talked about the difference in the 100/50 switch on the full sized QR and he said that when the QR is switched from 100 to 50, it's a true 50 watt amp but the signal is still moving thru all the filtering, extra caps, etc. that you have to have for the 100 watter and that's the main difference in how they would sound. He said the true 50 watt QR would sound a little more open, and be a little "looser" because of this. I then asked about the difference in the tone of the EL34 version (50 watt) vs. the 6V6 version (22 watts) and he said the 6V6 would be closer in tone to a 6L6. So, after this discussion I'm going to order a mid-sized QR with 6V6 @ 22 watts, fully loaded. Should be loud enough for anything that I would want to do, and I'm intrigued by what a 6V6 flavored QR would sound like.

Back