Those of you who have owned both the VH2 and VH4..

Soundstorm

What are your thoughts? On the Diezel demo clip, Peter mentions that the VH2 Ch.2 is the VH4 Ch.3 but "modernized". How would you compare these?

What are your thoughts? On the Diezel demo clip, Peter mentions that the VH2 Ch.2 is the VH4 Ch.3 but "modernized". How would you compare these?
This super true ! Ch 2 days n vh2 is by far my favorite channel on both amps . I got vh2 on trade to just sell it and was not looking forward to it or anything. But man im blown away by that channel . It’s definitely more modern . The vh4 has more punch by s little . But vh2 just is so good I kept it

I'll copy what I put in an older post on the Diezel board:
Not at the same time, but I've had an older VH4 (2005 I think) and a VH2. 6L6s in the VH4 and KT77s in the VH2. From my experience:

- The VH4 had more punch/thump than the VH2. Not to say the VH2 was lacking in any way, but there was enough of a difference that I could feel it while playing.
-Channel 1 on the VH2 is really damn good as you already know. The VH4 channels 1 and 2 weren't bad but not VH2-level good, even with the bright switch.
-Channel 2 on the VH2 did hit have quite a bit of gain fairly quickly, never really ran it past noon. It did get somewhat close to the VH4 Channel 3/4 but again not exactly the same and it was more of its own thing.
-Tried running the VH4-2 pedal into the VH2 for fun and sounded cool but obviously not the same as a VH4, and not close enough to use as a true substitute unfortunately.
-I don't like KT77s/KT88s (except for cleans) so that could've had some influence in my experience with the VH2. I never checked what preamp tubes came with the VH4, and the VH2 was stock.

There's been some changes to the VH4 over the years, supposedly newer ones are a bit more open and less compressed than the older ones. I currently have a newer Hagen and have been enjoying it with the EL34s it came with. Would've liked to have tried both the VH4 and VH2 with EL34s. I'll continue hunting for another older VH4, or maybe even a newer one. I don't miss the VH2 that much with the Hagen covering the VH2's Channel 1.

The VH2 was nice and I don't regret trying it out, but in the end it's not a VH4. Both are great amps, and expect them to stand on their own in different ways.

This super true ! Ch 2 days n vh2 is by far my favorite channel on both amps . I got vh2 on trade to just sell it and was not looking forward to it or anything. But man im blown away by that channel . It’s definitely more modern . The vh4 has more punch by s little . But vh2 just is so good I kept it
Would you say the VH2 is tighter than the VH4 or does it still have that huge low end?

I was running it and a jvm in stereo at the time. The thru jack on the front of the vh4 was such an awesome idea…gflex 2x12 and a Randall Scott Ian slime green xl cab with 2 v30’s and a legend 15…. Ohh boy was it something to experience in the bedroom….
It’s like Staind . He always mixed vh4 with Marshall . And tool

I'll copy what I put in an older post on the Diezel board:
How close would you say is the Hagen Ch3 to the VH2 Ch2?

I've always been curious since I've often read VH2's Ch2 sounds like a modern version of VH4 Ch3, which is what I would describe the Hagen Ch3 as. Similar but a little bit different. The Hagen is a VH4 MkII after all.

How close would you say is the Hagen Ch3 to the VH2 Ch2?

I've always been curious since I've often read VH2's Ch2 sounds like a modern version of VH4 Ch3, which is what I would describe the Hagen Ch3 as. Similar but a little bit different. The Hagen is a VH4 MkII after all.
Yea I can see that. In sound, the Hagen still has more mid-mids than the VH2. If you were to crank the mids on the VH2 though it would get much closer. I don't think you'd get closer turning down the mids on the Hagen, still has a more pronounced midrange. There's probably some more nuanced EQ differences in the upper/lower mids too.

In terms of feel, I want to say the VH2 wasn't far off from Hagen, maybe somewhere in the middle of a VH4 and Hagen. I haven't tried anything else other than 6-strings in E/Drop-D so take @Techdeth's word for it on the de-tuned stuff. There's also a more noticeable sweep in gain across both VH2 channels. I'm interested to see how the VH2s would compare now if they're also shipping with el34s.

Yea I can see that. In sound, the Hagen still has more mid-mids than the VH2. If you were to crank the mids on the VH2 though it would get much closer. I don't think you'd get closer turning down the mids on the Hagen, still has a more pronounced midrange. There's probably some more nuanced EQ differences in the upper/lower mids too.

In terms of feel, I want to say the VH2 wasn't far off from Hagen, maybe somewhere in the middle of a VH4 and Hagen. I haven't tried anything else other than 6-strings in E/Drop-D so take @Techdeth's word for it on the de-tuned stuff. There's also a more noticeable sweep in gain across both VH2 channels. I'm interested to see how the VH2s would compare now if they're also shipping with el34s.
I really enjoy its low tuned tones. It shocked me . Wasn’t expecting it . So it stayed .

Back