Thoughts on the tube situation

I've got tons of tubes, I'm realistically all set for the rest of my life , I went through a tube rolling "thingy" last year and bought a bunch of EL-34 variants and 12AX7 variants. 80% of them are in unopened boxes as I found what i was looking for early on with the JJ EL-34 II's and the NOS Mullard/RCF combo I have for 12Ax7's. but this may be a real problem, even Eurotubes.com is closed for 48 hours.

I think I'm set for the foreseeable future, hopefully long enough to get through the current shortage. I was lucky enough to grab a quad each of EL34's (Svetlanas) and 6L6's (Sovtek) and a duet of Genalex 6V6's for the 22 watt QR before things went totally bonkers. That will cover every amp variation I have on hand. I have several used EL's and 6L6's just in case. My concern is in preamp tubes. I've got a few new production spares that aren't currently being used in amps, and I bought a tube tester late last year that came with a boatload of NOS tubes. Most of which are not usuable in a guitar amp capacity, but there were a few NOS RCA 12ax7's and several NOS 12au7 and 12at7's. Some 5U4 recetifier tubes (will work in my Mesa) and some NOS 6V6's.

I just wonder what this tube shortage will do to Scott's business. I'm sure he's got a stack saved back, but what happens if/when those run out. In convos I've had with him in the past, he seemed to be somewhat semi-retired. I wonder if it get's too bad, if he'll just hang it up.

**Edit**

Forgot the KT88 Nitro, but it's got a brand new set of Genalex KT's in it. Wasn't going to drop $250-$300+ for a backup quad for that one.. LOL

Last edited:
I spoke to Scott earlier. He said he’s only got enough tubes to fill his current orders. Sounds like horrible news. And I’m not one to keep extra tubes around (been very lucky so far) I possibly see a Kemper in my future

I spoke to Scott earlier. He said he’s only got enough tubes to fill his current orders. Sounds like horrible news. And I’m not one to keep extra tubes around (been very lucky so far) I possibly see a Kemper in my future

Dang! I don't know what his current order totals look like (he may have enough to keep him going quite a while), but I know that the 22 watt QR he built for me had JJ's in it as OEM. Hopefully JJ can get caught up and be able to supply enough to keep him going.

I bought a Kemper here about a month or so ago, and while it was cool and interesting with all the different amp profiles, etc.. It doesn't feel the same to me. I'd rather just play a good ol' tube amp, myself. I was actually thinking about getting rid of it, but then all this mess started and now that tubes have gotten scarce... I'm holding on to it a bit longer, just in case.

I had an Axe FX II MarkII for years. No thanks , for home noodling and recording it was great,
but in a band context? it just didn't work for me (or my band they hated it)
as long as I'm gigging it's tube amps.

It's a sad situation for many but I'm more than set for my lifetime. . I'll start selling sometime this year probably

Eric

I just recently retubed my Nitro with new pre-amp and power tubes, so I am hoping that'll go without tubes failing for the time until this matter resolves until manufacturers are caught up. However, I am looking at the BluGuitar Amp 1 stuff as a purchase as a backup amp. I have a Line 6 combo (yes I know its no Splawn or valve amp) that I "modded" with an external cabinet output so I can use it with a 212 cabinet just in case my Splawn tubes take a dive.

As far as amp manufacturers go, I think a lot of them will end up switching to what's available tube stock wise. Seeing that JJ is one of the bigger players in the tube game, I can see and already see manufactorers switching to JJ. you go to the JetCity amps website, there's a statement saying "Due to supply issues tube options are unavailable for the foreseeable future. JJ will be used in all new amps unless otherwise noted."

Cheers

Yeah. That kind of sucks. Sounds like he was more in a 'just in time' model vs stock piling parts. He's going to have to keep 'x' amount of tubes just for repairs I would think. I feel sorry for all builders right now. And you thought used prices on (all) amps was bad now - wait and see what will be next as the supply shrinks even further. I'm kind of mad at myself for not predicting this.

I'm good on tubes for now (5 years maybe).

Will probably consider an Axe or Helix in the future when ever we move out of here and I lose my man cave. Maybe get a small Randall or EVH or Mesa etc.

JJ's are produced in Slovakia. They bought and took over all of the Tesla machinery and assets etc.

So I don't see JJ filling in any gaps.

Actually, I just went to Bob's Eurotubes website to see what they are saying as they sell nothing but JJs.

On the main page is says this:

"Our online store is temporarily closed for 24-48hrs! Do not worry! JJ Electronic is running at full capacity and we're processing existing orders as quickly as possible. Once we're caught up we will reopen the store.

If you need help, please contact us at Info@eurotubes.com"

JJ Electronic is running at full capacity so that's good.

Are you worried or not bothered about it? Is it a good time to consider digital like Kemper?

My tube amps are fairly new and I do not play hours daily so not worried for now. Worst case, have my HX Stomp modeler to use for practice and jams. That said, I probably will not buy any more expensive tube amps moving forward. Getting a Fractal Axe FX III for recording to DAW is my plan in the future to make home music production way easier and more efficient for mixing with synth tracks.

It’s a bummer (the whole situation) and I hope WE can step up soon, because it will be problem for all of us. I’m really bummed about the Shuguang plant closing because I thought they sounded best in my Splawns

It’s a bummer (the whole situation) and I hope WE can step up soon, because it will be problem for all of us. I’m really bummed about the Shuguang plant closing because I thought they sounded best in my Splawns
Me too.

IIRC you post a lot on TGP right? Splawn subforum there? It has been a long time since I have been over there. Question: Are you just posting now to use our classifieds or do you want hang out a bit too? Just curious. Doesn't bother me one way or the other. You see how we roll over here :D

Me too.

IIRC you post a lot on TGP right? Splawn subforum there? It has been a long time since I have been over there. Question: Are you just posting now to use our classifieds or do you want hang out a bit too? Just curious. Doesn't bother me one way or the other. You see how we roll over here :D
Yeah I’m on a few different forums but have been coming here for years as well. I did need to get my post count up to post a WTB ad but not selling anything…yet.

Some one sell me a quad of 6l6gcs lol that’s my thought atm lol
My first post :)

I have a link you may be interested in checking out. I don't know if this is exactly what you were looking for, but I thought I would try and help.

https://nesstone.com/product/mesa-boogie-6l6gc-str-420-cb-power-tube/
I had no back-up tubes when this whole thing started and started to panic because everyone was sold out.

Then I found Nesstone.com

I picked up 2 quads of el34 and 3 quads of 12ax7 all at very reasonable prices.

My first post :)

I have a link you may be interested in checking out. I don't know if this is exactly what you were looking for, but I thought I would try and help.

https://nesstone.com/product/mesa-boogie-6l6gc-str-420-cb-power-tube/
I had no back-up tubes when this whole thing started and started to panic because everyone was sold out.

Then I found Nesstone.com

I picked up 2 quads of el34 and 3 quads of 12ax7 all at very reasonable prices.
I also found these 6L6GC-R at 14.59 each.
https://nesstone.com/product/nesstone-6l6-r/

Back