To BOOST or not to BOOST? PRS Archon 50

• Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27494

UPDATE 4:
Here's a new one focusing on the "controversial" blue channel of the EVH 5150III 50w EL34 using the Pepers Dirty Tree:

UPDATE 3:
Here's a new episode! This time with the Friedman JJ JR! It's a bit subtle this time but still substantial enough to warrant a boost imho. Check it out:

UPDATE2: Here's a new one with the Marshall DSL50 and 2 boost pedals; the Maxon OD808 and the Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive:

UPDATE: Here's a new episode! This one focuses on the Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII and the Laney BCC Steelpark boost pedal. I used a PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone this time. Sounds AWESOME!

Hey guys,

A LOT of players, especially in the metal genre, like to use boost or overdrive pedals in front of their (high gain) amps to make them sound more tight, focused and aggressive/percussive. I usually prefer the sound of my tube amps pure, so without a boost. I tend to prefer the more natural and thick response, depending on the amp of course. In my opinion amps retain their unique character more without a boost up front....

However, maybe I just haven't experimented enough with boosts. I do usually like to boost my amps when I'm using super low tunings though, so with my 8 or 9 string guitars. Of course it depends on the amps because certain amps like the ENGL Ironball for example are already so tight sounding by default.

So I'm ready to go on a little tone searching journey to find out what it is that people like so much about boost pedals. I'm starting with the Peavey 6505 and the maxon OD808 because it's a very common combo:

Note: I don't think there is a real definitive answer here because it really depends on many variables like the player, the style, the amp, the guitar, the tuning and the pedal etc. However, I still think that this is a fun and hopefully interesting premise and I'm looking forward to doing more episodes with a wide range of amps, guitars and pedals.

I would also be very interested in hearing about your thoughts and preferences on this subject! Also, what type of amp should I do next?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn’t boost one of the most high gain amplifiers in existence as a baseline myself. I do think people boost for different reasons these days, but it started with getting more out of a Marshall/low gain circuit. Eddie did it with an echoplex preamp to hit the front end of his Marshall harder to get more gain and overall something more in your face.

I don’t boost my 5150 II unless it’s the crunch channel. I tend to boost amplifiers that aren’t fully bypassed on the first gain stage to get tube based interactions over frequency while also increasing drive and harmonic complexity.

I actually leave a boost on at all times with my 3 stage/CF Marshall - to the point I’m including it in the amplifier circuit now as it will reduce noise.

I do end up boosting a lot (I'm also an 8-string player).

With a mid-gain amp (like a JCM 800), I do the typical thing with the pedal level max (or nearly) and the pedal gain very low.

For high gain amps though, I think what I do is unusual but I like it. I have the amp gain set to around where I want it. The pedal gain is essentially off. And the level is only around 2.5 or 3 out of 10. Basically unity or just over.

That seems to tighten up the amp, but not in an unnatural or synthetic way that sometimes I get if I have the boost pedal's level maxed (and the amp gain lowered correspondingly).

(But FWIW I don't like the 5152 red channel when boosted. It gets a very nasal quack. It sounds phenomenal when unboosted IMHO. But I do boost a Recto basically always and typically boost a 5151).

It is such a personal choice based on your attack. When I play metal, I am an extremely heavy handed player and use a lot of attack. 90% of modern high gain amps, I feel absolutely no need to boost. I used a SD-1 with my 2203's/2204's and could get brutal tones. I have friends that play and use so much more gain than me, they have a lighter attack overall. It works for them though.

for my brand of Rock/Metal live I really feel like I'm in a quandary. It seems like when I blast it loud with a band my rig chain might sound better without a boost sometimes?! I think I like when I had the fx8 OD with a mix control down to like 60%, or on Kemper it has a similar control. But for a traditional pedal amp setup I might need to explore and see what could be out there.

In the studio, I tend to go with quad tracking a lot: 2 LR with an clean OD boost (often 808x) and 3 & 4 tracks no od boost and a lot less gain. Those supporting "Malcolm" tracks really make it sound more full and organic, while the primary 2 bring that razor sharp attack.

I am a die hard boost user and recently discovered what double boosting using two Duncan 805s does in front of a Wizard MCII....Amazing, greasy, tight, hyper aggressive, articulate, metal tones. I purely bought the second boost to have as a backup as its been my favorite boost to date, but glad I decided to try double boosting.
If I buy one of these and don't gel with it, your going to own 3 of em.

:shocked:

I'm a booster generally (even my Butterslax), but have not felt the need to boost my Monomyth modded Superleads (1974 and 1993RI). Although, one is a bit hotter than the other. Neither needs a boost.

It depends on what I’m looking for. I typically don’t need to boost high gain amps, but it is fun using something out front to change up the amps dynamics.

Believe it or not, my main amp these days is a 1986 Randall RG100ES. I slap a VFE Standout out front with a noise gate and it is insane. Cheap shitty amp that can keep up with amps costing 10X as much.

I own a lot of boosts/distortion pedals… likely 15+. 🤦‍♂️

Awesome video as always mate.

I think a recto is the only amp I think may 'need' a boost for me.
My VH4 I keep changing my mind... at the moment i'm in the no boost amp on that one.

I always ran my 5150/6505 without a boost

I have always felt the need to boost an OG 5150/6505 just to tighten it up, but how exactly depends on both the guitar and its electronics and the boost pedal itself.

However the 5150 2x12 combo has my favorite red channel of all the 5150 iterations, sitting kind of between the 5150 and 5150 II red channels and that one I generally didn’t need to boost. However I ran the bass kind of low.

My go to boost these days is the MXR M77 because with the “bump” button turned off it alters the overall tone less, whereas with it on its more like a Tubescreamer (although a tubescreamer has a “softer” sound and feel to me).

So with amps that I feel like a tubescreamer just doesn’t sit right, or I am trying to not totally alter the tone of the guitar>amp, I use the M77 with the bump off, level at noon, and just adjust the Tone and 100hz knobs to get the right balance of tightness/compression/upper midrange push.

But then you can engage the bump and really alter the sound with a lot more low mid harmonic growl and compression.

If there’s another pedal I really want to try for a similar purpose its the Deadweald Duality.

For high gain I boost everything. It never used to be this way. In fact, for a long time I used no pedals at all. Ever. At some point, the other guitarist in my band convinced me to try an SD-1 in front of my amp (can't remember what amp it was) with the level all the way up and the drive all the way down. I've used one ever since. I've tried a whole bunch of other OD pedals, but the SD-1 has been a mainstay. I recently acquired a TS-9 and now the SD-1 and TS-9 sit together on my pedal board, and I can choose between either or sometimes turn them both on for something extra. Running them both together seems to be the trick for lower tunings.

Back