Torpedo Captor X firmware update - USB issue on Windows running in VM VirtualBox

ChuckBruck

Hi,

I would like to share my experience with the Torpedo Captor X firmware update via Torpedo Remote SW running on Windows in a VM VirtualBox on Linux - might be of interest for users with similar Linux/Windows hybrid setups. (I admit that this setup might not be very common.)

When the firmware update starts, it disconnects the Captor device's USB connection. Torpedo Remote is unable to reconnect, so loading the firmware onto the device fails after reaching a timeout. Workaround: Reconnect the device manually via VM VirtualBox hostkey menu Devices -> USB (re-check "Two Notes Audio Engineering Torpedo Captor X"). Do so every time the Torpedo Remote SW pops up "USB disconnected" during the update process.

Let me make it clear that this is not Torpedo Remote SW's fault - VM VirtualBox intentionally does not allow it's clients to autonomously bind resources of the Linux host. As an upgrade of the firmware of the box is not a daily task, I would tolerate the little inconvenience. Maybe Two Notes could put this to a FAQ list or knowledge database?

Technical details: Torpedo Captor X (8 ohms), firmware update from 5.06 to 5.12, Torpedo Remote SW for Windows x64 version 5.3.14, Windows 10 Pro version 20H2, Oracle VM VirtualBox version 5.2.42_Ubuntu r137960, Linux 5.4.0-66-generic #74~18.04.2-Ubuntu (Linux Mint 19.3 64bit).

regards,
Karsten

Back