Treble pot turning volume down

All fixed! Swapped it out for a 680pf 15kv ceramic cap and the amp screams now. I'm not sure the original cap was 15kv though. The cap i just installed is nearly 3 times thicker and twice as big but who knows. Funny thing, the amp sounds even better now and seems to not need as much treble ( sounds significantly clearer ). Funny the mention that the cherry bomb amp is light on gain, this amp has a toggle for diode clipping and has crazy levels of gain, hell, even the non diode mode ( zen ) has gobs of gain, i can't take it past 3 o'clock or it just feedbacks like mad.

All fixed! Swapped it out for a 680pf 15kv ceramic cap and the amp screams now. I'm not sure the original cap was 15kv though. The cap i just installed is nearly 3 times thicker and twice as big but who knows. Funny thing, the amp sounds even better now and seems to not need as much treble ( sounds significantly clearer ). Funny the mention that the cherry bomb amp is light on gain, this amp has a toggle for diode clipping and has crazy levels of gain, hell, even the non diode mode ( zen ) has gobs of gain, i can't take it past 3 o'clock or it just feedbacks like mad.

Yeah I made a mistake - I looked at the image again and the original actually is 68pF not 680pF

All cap values are pf and the last number is the number of zeros (it’s a x10 multiplier). So 680pF is 681 and 68pF is 680 which was the cap in the image. Sorry!

So it would explain the size difference for the same cap voltage rating but hey glad it sounds better now than it did before.

Yeah I made a mistake - I looked at the image again and the original actually is 68pF not 680pF

All cap values are pf and the last number is the number of zeros (it’s a x10 multiplier). So 680pF is 681 and 68pF is 680 which was the cap in the image. Sorry!

So it would explain the size difference for the same cap voltage rating but hey glad it sounds better now than it did before.
What kind of tone difference is there by adjusting the cap value?

What kind of tone difference is there by adjusting the cap value?

My guess is that he’s bypassing the treble potentiometer to get more gain on the top end kind like a bypass cap on a pregain pot. Everyone here knows it’s not the actual treble cap in the tonestack.

My mentality is that if you have to bypass the treble pot to get more gain, you should be adding it in the stages before the tonestack and let the tonestack do what a tonestack does.

Last edited:
My guess is that he’s bypassing the treble potentiometer to get more gain on the top end kind like a bypass cap on a pregain pot. Everyone here knows it’s not the actual treble cap in the tonestack.

My mentality is that if you have to bypass the treble cap to get more gain, you should be adding it in the stages before the tonestack and let the tonestack do what a tonestack does.
Thanks!

All fixed! Swapped it out for a 680pf 15kv ceramic cap and the amp screams now. I'm not sure the original cap was 15kv though. The cap i just installed is nearly 3 times thicker and twice as big but who knows.
When you posted the pic, I searched Mouser for the part and that's what came up - based on the visible part numbers on the ceramic disc cap.

My mentality is that if you have to bypass the treble pot to get more gain, you should be adding it in the stages before the tonestack and let the tonestack do what a tonestack does.
No, that is the treble capacitor on the tone stack, it’s all there soldered right off the pots and it is 680pf, 500v.

No, that is the treble capacitor on the tone stack, it’s all there soldered right off the pots and it is 680pf, 500v.
No, you’re wrong. It’s called a C capacitor code and it’s 68pF. It’s also flylead soldered to a mess of stuff from what I can tell, which makes sense given it’s not the treble cap at 68pF.

No, you’re wrong. It’s called a C capacitor code and it’s 68pF. It’s also flylead soldered to a mess of stuff from what I can tell, which makes sense given it’s not the treble cap at 68pF.
Haha! There is the treble, bass and middle cap with the slope resistor soldered right off the pots. It’s 680k. If it was without the K you’d be correct.

Haha! There is the treble, bass and middle cap with the slope resistor soldered right off the pots. It’s 680k. If it was without the K you’d be correct.
The letter is the tolerance and has nothing to do with its value.

Maybe Steve made the same mistake and used the wrong cap value?

The letter is the tolerance and has nothing to do with its value.

Maybe Steve made the same mistake and used the wrong cap value? a tolerance letter.

I feel like ceramic disk caps are confusing lol. I attached a picture to show from mouser how this is a 470k or 470pf ceramic cap. Also I love the way these sound.
99083784-FF5B-47AD-BEBD-D6D7846380DF.jpeg

Back