Trouble With Tone Using Torpedo Captor 8 Plus CAB M + with Fender Blues Jr. III

mixolydianb7

Hey guys,
I bought a CAB M Plus and a Captor 8 separately to use as a loadbox so that I can use my amp along with my pedalboard to record in a home studio while listening through headphones and portable speakers/studio monitors. So far, I have just tried listening through headphones and the tones I am getting from the CAB M Plus are absolutely horrible. I have seen all the videos from people using this device and they are amazing.

When I tried it without my amp, I made sure to set the preamp, power amp, cabinet, and mic all on, but the treble is so high it sounds screechy and shrill. Therefore, I figured, ok, maybe I just need to use my amp to drive it. So I removed the chassis of my Blues Jr. III to disconnect the speaker cable and instead reveal the speaker out socket, which I connected with a speaker cable to the CAB M Plus amp input. Then, using my Captor 8, I connected the speaker out on the Captor to the speaker in on the CAB M Plus. These are the instructions on the manuals of these two products. By doing this, I got only marginally better tone, but most notably turning on my pedals makes the tone unplayable. Overdrive sounds like the worst metal zone settings ever thrown in a computer simulation/tin can. I tried removing the preamp setting in Tornado, since I now have a quality preamp with my actual amplifier, but it still sounds too muddy/compressed, yet shrill on the high end.

Oh, and I have Scarlet Focusrite 18i8 as my audio interface that I have connected to the CAB M Plus using balanced XLR cable, and I have been listening using headphones until my studio monitors arrive tomorrow. Thanks in advance for the help!

FYI: My Torpedo Remote is NOT clipping, but my Scarlett Focusrite IS clipping. I have also tried running my rig direct without any pedals, and I get the same issue. I have tried bypassing the CAB M Plus and just hooking up my amp to the Captor and then XLR to Scarlet audio interface, but same problem.

https://ibb.co/TT83jwd
https://ibb.co/VtKVTpN

Last edited:
Back