Tube preference

Hollywood

Hey guys what tubes are you running in your bogners? Power and pre? I have a rev, blue Uberschall and I got it with new JJ/tesla e34l's in the power and Sovtek and factory pre's in it. My uber let me down tonite, volume started going down and out and then trying to return so I will be dealing with that in the next few days. Will call Bogner tomorrow and then Doug's tubes. Bogner website recomends Winged c sed's and Tesla/jj's for power and Chinese for the pre's. :)

Okay, so we got readers that have mute fingers. :LOL: :LOL: I talked with Charlie at Bogner today and the amps come loaded with Tesla/jj power tubes or Winged c sed's. They will install whatever you like but that's what they prefer. The pre tubes are sovtek lps except for v3 and v5 and those are chinese tubes, generic that everyone puts their names on as he put it. ARS Labels on all tubes from the factory, so there it is. :yes:

My Rev. Blue Uber is loaded with Sovteks, and power are ARS. I swapped out a few of them for Penta lab tubes. My ARS tubes are kind of mismatched for some odd reason so I am looking at a tube change in a bit, thats if the Bogner stays that long :LOL: :LOL: I find myself plugging into the Herbert way more often.

I started looking at my uber a few moments ago. It had a volume die out session last nite in the middle of a set. Everyone keeps telling me it is a pre amp tube, but I figured I would check the power tubes first. With the external check points it is soo easy. My uber came with new jj/tesla e34l's for power tubes and 4 of the 6 pre's are sovtek lps high gains and the other two pre's are ars which are chinese generic according to bogner. I never had no luck with jj's :no: The readings I just got are the power tube farthest to the left which should be v1027.7 to 27.9 next one v933.0 to 33.3 v8 29.0 to 29.4 v728.7 to 29.0 gotta think this through. Not sure about the one being higher than the rest? I guess the best move for me is to take it out of the headshell and hook up the trusty Compubias. That thing gives ya all the readings for everything at once. :yes:

I have NS Mullards in my XTC right now, and there's nothing smoother or sweeter than that. If you want reliable, Winged C's it is. I don't like Sovteks in general: rough sounding , noisy, unreliable. Plus the LPS are lower gain than the chinese, so there's no direct comparison.

I called and talked to my amp tech and he was reminding me how I had a Silver jubilee do this same darn thing years ago. He told me to check and make sure the effects loop was not on by mistake if I had nothing plugged into the jacks and then to play the amp again to see if I could duplicate the problem and then if I could to take a short patch cable and plug into the send and go into the return, to loop the effects loop. Then play for a long while and if the amp does not go into the volume fade again, then I will in all likely hood need the amp cleaned and I guess specificly the jacks for the effects loop. And or I could have a bad jack. :confused: I did all this and the amp did not fail ALL NITE. I did leave the back plate off of the Uberschall and when I tap on the pre-amp tubes the one in v-1 is very Microphonic. Loud just like a live mic. None of the other pre-amp tubes will do this. Maybe this pre-amp tube is bad??? Sovtek lps pre-amp tube. I heard these have been produced lately in bad batches and alot of amp guys are leary of these right now. Kinda like the JJ power tubes from last year and the last half of the year before. :yes: I figure I will change these anyway. 4 pre's and 2 more pre's for the loop according to bogner. Pre-amp tube recomendations welcome. I gotta buy something. :LOL: :LOL:

I'm really tired of the tube quest.

I just put either JJ E34Ls or SED EL34s for power & Penta Labs for preamp. Works great.

:thumbsup: I hear ya. It can get a touch bothersome trying to find this brand tube and find that brand tube. I have always been a winged C sed power tube guy since all the way back when I only ran Marshalls. I will end up running the e34ls that are new in the Uberschall for the moment until I change the pre's out so I can do a sound comparision. then I will in all likelyhood get the Winged C's in there. I have heard a ton of great reviews about the Tung-sol pre tubes. New sensor corp. re-issue made in Russia but the comparisions you go and read all say this tube has the highest ratings on top of all the guys saying they love them. :yes:

HOLLYWOOD":3gz46v97 said:
:thumbsup: I hear ya. It can get a touch bothersome trying to find this brand tube and find that brand tube. I have always been a winged C sed power tube guy since all the way back when I only ran Marshalls. I will end up running the e34ls that are new in the Uberschall for the moment until I change the pre's out so I can do a sound comparision. then I will in all likelyhood get the Winged C's in there. I have heard a ton of great reviews about the Tung-sol pre tubes. New sensor corp. re-issue made in Russia but the comparisions you go and read all say this tube has the highest ratings on top of all the guys saying they love them. :yes:
The tungsol is one of the sweetest tubes out there, I'm thinking of trying it also. But you should call Doug, at Doug's Tubes and pick his brain about what array of tubes to try in your Uber. He knows what he's talking about and loves to do it.

I tried calling him a few times and never got him, just the message machine. Busy guy so maybe I can get lucky and get a hold of him in the next few days. :confused:

Talked to Doug at Doug's tubes today. he basically said that there are only 3 tubes for power that are rated for the Uberschall to handle the high plate volts requirement. JJ'S, Winged C's, and The new Ruby el-34 BHT's, which are shuguang's labeled Ruby. They were made specifically for High gain amps that are overly demanding. the Winged C's are more vintage compared to the BHt Ruby's and so in turn the Ruby Bht's are more modern sounding. And the JJ's well they are just JJ's. :LOL: :LOL: pre-amp tubes as a whole are subjective but he said the majority of his guys all end up going back or with the Chinese pre's. Helpful guy. :yes:

HOLLYWOOD":24vowq2f said:
Talked to Doug at Doug's tubes today. he basically said that there are only 3 tubes for power that are rated for the Uberschall to handle the high plate volts requirement. JJ'S, Winged C's, and The new Ruby el-34 BHT's, which are shuguang's labeled Ruby. They were made specifically for High gain amps that are overly demanding. the Winged C's are more vintage compared to the BHt Ruby's and so in turn the Ruby Bht's are more modern sounding. And the JJ's well they are just JJ's. :LOL: :LOL: pre-amp tubes as a whole are subjective but he said the majority of his guys all end up going back or with the Chinese pre's. Helpful guy. :yes:
Charlie at Bogner mentioned that they're going to the JJ's, because Winged c's are so expensive. One Tungsol pre to try could never hurt, either in V1 or v6...
And yes, Doug is the best and coolest guy in the business.

Doug said something today that I have heard from about 3 or 4 amp techs lately and that is that JJ power tubes especially the el-34's are coming out in shoddy batches and are un-reliable lately. I have never had any luck with JJ power tubes but now the pre-tubes, in jj have done fine with me over the years in my marshalls. :yes: I don't care about the expense, the winged c's are the best. But I gotta admit the new ruby BHT's sound interesting as all get out. :)

I need to mess around with the XTC classic preamp section. Threw a JJ ECC83 in there for fun, I think it made it sound worse :LOL: :LOL: Probably going to throw in some chinese tubes now and be done with it.

Any other recommendations for a XTC? Or is chinese probably the safest bet?

I tried lots of preamp tubes with my Bogners when I had them. Ultimately, I liked how they came stock:

Uber: Sovtek LPS in v1,2,4 and 6, 9th gen chinese in v3 and 5
XTC: Sovtek LPS in v1,2,5 and 6, 9th gen chinese in v3 and 4

Powertubes - SED winged Cs are my favorites.

romvert":2ejuzjrv said:
HOLLYWOOD":2ejuzjrv said:
The tungsol is one of the sweetest tubes out there, I'm thinking of trying it also. But you should call Doug, at Doug's Tubes and pick his brain about what array of tubes to try in your Uber. He knows what he's talking about and loves to do it.

The Tung-Sol is a sweet tube, but I couldn't stand it in V1 of my Uber. It lost some clarity with the tung-sol and the high sounded very unfocused. I put that same tube in my Marshalls and it's killer though.

:rock: Thanks for the 411. I will try the tung-sol in the marshalls. I am a touch miffed though. The sovtek LPS pre's are problematic at best especially right now, yet it is supposed to be the Chosen pre tube along with the chinese. I wonder how the Uber would do with EH pre tubes in it. They are russian also and I just keep the chinese in the two spots like from the factory. v-3 and v-5 I think. :confused: I am gonna get the winged c seds for power tubes most likely and get the e34l JJ's outta there.

HOLLYWOOD":246j69zi said:
:rock: Thanks for the 411. I will try the tung-sol in the marshalls. I am a touch miffed though. The sovtek LPS pre's are problematic at best especially right now, yet it is supposed to be the Chosen pre tube along with the chinese. I wonder how the Uber would do with EH pre tubes in it. They are russian also and I just keep the chinese in the two spots like from the factory. v-3 and v-5 I think. :confused: I am gonna get the winged c seds for power tubes most likely and get the e34l JJ's outta there.

Nearly all the LPS pre's I had in my Uber went microphonic so I feel ya there. I've never tried EH pre tubes so can't say one way or the other there.

I've tried GT EL34B's, ARS/JJ, and Winged C Seds in my Uber and I prefer the Seds. My least favorite of the bunch was the EL34B. I didn't mind the ARS/JJ, but the Seds get the :thumbsup: .

Back