Tuning my 1974 Marshall

Which section of the clip do you like more?

• 0:00 to 1:36

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

glpg80

I’ve come up with something for my amp and I’m not sure whether I like it more out of circuit, or in circuit. It doesn’t help my playing was garbage in this quick segment, do you like the first part of the clip or the second?

It’s recorded on an iPhone and compressed through YouTube and you’re complaining about the mix? Of course it’s not polished which is obvious. There’s less than 30% mix of delay, if that. No reverb except for whatever the room itself is giving.

This is going well.
Maybe you should tell us what to listen for rather than random "name that mod" clips.
Echo/Delay/Reverb = all time based effects.
It all comes down to what you like anyway.

This is going well.
Maybe you should tell us what to listen for rather than random "name that mod" clips.
Echo/Delay/Reverb = all time based effects.
It all comes down to what you like anyway.

In the room this is what I get, see if you can hear the same:

0:00-1:36
More gain, easier to play, slightly lower mid emphasis, more low end/girth, slightly less Marshall character.

1:36-2:07
reduced gain, reduced low end, higher mid cutting emphasis, harder to play, but more Marshall character.

In both there is an SD-1 goosing the hell out of it with level all the way up, drive at 1 o clock, tone off.

Loop is a delay with much lower mix than YouTube’s compression is forcing to make out.

In the room this is what I get, see if you can hear the same:

0:00-1:36
More gain, easier to play, slightly lower mid emphasis, more low end/girth, slightly less Marshall character.

1:36-2:07
reduced gain, reduced low end, higher mid cutting emphasis, harder to play, but more Marshall character.

In both there is an SD-1 goosing the hell out of it with level all the way up, drive at 1 o clock, tone off.

Loop is a delay with much lower mix than YouTube’s compression is forcing to make out.
0:00 - 1:36 yes more gain, cant say about ease of play, would have to feel that myself. Yes more lows.

1:36 - 2:07 yes reduced gain yes less low end yes more mid cut.

Your amp has the un-mistakable Marshall JMP bark. The gain has a really good color/character to it.

0:00 - 1:36 yes more gain, cant say about ease of play, would have to feel that myself. Yes more lows.

1:36 - 2:07 yes reduced gain yes less low end yes more mid cut.

Your amp has the un-mistakable Marshall JMP bark. The gain has a really good color/character to it.
Would you say the Marshall bark is there regardless? That’s what I’m most worried about. In the room it’s pretty significant, the cabinet breaths better and isn’t so stagnant so to speak.

The latter part is hard to play even with a boost engaged.

I’ve debated just putting either option on a push-pull pot for the pregain pot that was already replaced due to a problem with the original. Ideally I don’t want to and just would rather put either in there permanently, which is where I’m conflicted.

I think from this discussion I’ll come up with a way to have an in-between of either and not put it on a switch/push pull pot. I do agree I think the first part emphasizes the mids too far shifted lower, but the gain increase that comes from it is needed from a feel perspective IMO. The goal was not more low end albeit that may be what it seems as a first assumption.

Would you say the Marshall bark is there regardless? That’s what I’m most worried about. In the room it’s pretty significant, the cabinet breaths better and isn’t so stagnant so to speak.

The latter part is hard to play even with a boost engaged.

I’ve debated just putting either option on a push-pull pot for the pregain pot that was already replaced due to a problem with the original. Ideally I don’t want to and just would rather put either in there permanently, which is where I’m conflicted.
Yes bark there regardless which is 99% of the game and way more than most amps have.
Most everything else is preference, po-tate-o/po-tot-o
I hear the push/pull pots are hard to find but IDK for sure.
Mini toggles work great.

Back