Twin Sister / DS40 owners - i have questions

tonedover

Hi all - i am considering getting a new Twin Sister. I am an “at home” player with occasional jam in friends’ garages / basements. No gigs for me :)

Im very attracted to the independent eq options of the Twin Sister to enable me to pair with a Buxom Boost to get everything from low gain to BE+ type sounds, so i can finally ditch my distortion and OD pedals.

1. Does the 40 watt DS / TS master volume perform well in lower volume environments? I run my Runt20 between 2 and 4 on the MV dial with gain max’d as an example of my current playing volume when going for higher gain. Would a little volume pot dongle in the effects loop solve this while retaining the DS/TS tone?

2. Lets talk about gain. Unfortunately, so many demos on Youtube suffer from compression issues as well as a lot of guys using IRs to record. I find this annoying in demos as IRs really color and compress a lot of circuits to sound really similar. There are videos where the DS/TS sounds monsterous like a BE and there are videos where it doesnt seem to have that BE attack and gain.
Can anyone confirm or deny the amount of gain in the DS/TS for me? Id hate to assume this is THE amp for me only to spend $3k and not love it. And yes, i live in a gear desert, with zero friedmans in a 3 hour driving radius.

Thanks and sorry for the elementary questions likely already discussed.

Last edited:
Hi all - i am considering getting a new Twin Sister. I am an “at home” player with occasional jam in friends’ garages / basements. No gigs for me :)

Im very attracted to the independent eq options of the Twin Sister to enable me to pair with a Buxom Boost to get everything from low gain to BE+ type sounds, so i can finally ditch my distortion and OD pedals.

1. Does the 40 watt DS / TS master volume perform well in lower volume environments? I run my Runt20 between 2 and 4 on the MV dial with gain max’d as an example of my current playing volume when going for higher gain. Would a little volume pot dongle in the effects loop solve this while retaining the DS/TS tone?

2. Lets talk about gain. Unfortunately, so many demos on Youtube suffer from compression issues as well as a lot of guys using IRs to record. I find this annoying in demos as IRs really color and compress a lot of circuits to sound really similar. There are videos where the DS/TS sounds monsterous like a BE and there are videos where it doesnt seem to have that BE attack and gain.
Can anyone confirm or deny the amount of gain in the DS/TS for me? Id hate to assume this is THE amp for me only to spend $3k and not love it. And yes, i live in a gear desert, with zero friedmans in a 3 hour driving radius.

Thanks and sorry for the elementary questions likely already discussed.
Here’s mine straight in with a mic’d 4x12. I‘m using a little reverb in the loop. I like to use a silver Archer also to push it over the top. I installed a solid state rectifier too

Here’s mine straight in with a mic’d 4x12. I‘m using a little reverb in the loop. I like to use a silver Archer also to push it over the top. I installed a solid state rectifier too

oh hey man! fancy running into you again! haha.

awesome vid - so glad you made and shared that with me (gonna subscribe too!)

smart on the rectifier - this did sound nice and tight too!

Is it possible to install a switchable solid state and tube rectifier or does it have to be one or the other? I have a TS, a Smallbox, and a BE 100 Deluxe, and there’s something about the tightness of that solid state rectifier that I like, but wouldn’t want to completely give it up.

Is it possible to install a switchable solid state and tube rectifier or does it have to be one or the other? I have a TS, a Smallbox, and a BE 100 Deluxe, and there’s something about the tightness of that solid state rectifier that I like, but wouldn’t want to completely give it up.
I always wondered why Dave never added that from the factory

Yes, if the amp already has a tube rectifier, it's a very simple mod.
Check out robrobinette.com for lots of great mods. Mostly Fender-centric, but this applies to any amp with a tube rectifier.
https://robrobinette.com/Generic_Tube_Amp_Mods.htm#Rectifier_Switch

Master volume is excellent! I found both the DS and TS to have plenty of gain, but definitely a different feel. It has some sag and not as immediate as the BE flavor. Kinda sits in the pocket. Any BE flavored Friedman has more attack and punch.

Back