two notes torpedo cab m+ as P.A. and in-ear amplifier

viappio

Hi everyone,
I'm on the verge of buying the torpedo cab m+, but i'm struggling to understand if i can get what i want from this incredible device.
I really need these things:
  1. send my signal to the P.A. to get amp/cab emulation for the audience
  2. send the same amp/cab simulation to my in-ear (i like to hear myself also from earphones in certain load venues) with volume control
  3. still sending the bass sound to my bass amp
Is it possible? in a normal use case 1 & 3 are pretty obvious, but usually when the earphones are plugged in, the regular output is muted.
Anybody had experience on this?
Thanks a lot

Good morning @viappio

Ross from Two notes here and thanks so much for getting in touch. Please see answers to your questions below.

send my signal to the P.A. to get amp/cab emulation for the audience
  • Absolutely, simply send the DI OUT or LINE OUT signals to your PA
send the same amp/cab simulation to my in-ear (i like to hear myself also from earphones in certain load venues) with volume control
  • Yes you certainly can, however for simplicity of setup we would suggest sending this back from a line out of the PA / FOH
still sending the bass sound to my bass amp
  • That's a 3-for-3! Simply connect your amp head to the AMP IN and the SPEAKER OUT of the C.A.B. M+ to your cabinet
  • Note, When using an amplifier, you'll get a pretty strong signal, so -24dB on the INPUT SELECTION SWITCH is recommended. If the amp is low power, like 10w or under, 0dB may work best.
Please let me know if this helps to answer your questions and if there is anything else I can help you with, please do not hesitate to reach out!

Bump. I’m playing smaller stages and want to stop mic’ing my 2x12 to control stage volume. But, i want to keep my cab sound so i can feel it on stage but make it easier on everyone.

I’m looking at the M+ and Captor X, but i am not inclined to spend a lot of time messing with a lot of options. I dont even have monitors at home, juet a laptop.

Can i get buy with the M+ or do i need the X?

Good morning @Junk Yard Dog

Ross from Two notes here. Thanks for getting in touch. Both options will certainly work!

The C.A.B. M+ can be placed in-between your Amplifier and Cabinet following the connectivity outlined in the link below...
https://wiki.two-notes.com/lib/exe/..._s_manual&media=torpedo_cab_m:loadboxcase.png

However, if you need a degree of attenuation for your amplifier, the Captor X would be the better solution thanks to two attenuation settings built into the unit. In addition, there is the added benefit of sending a Stereo Feed via the dual XLR outputs and harnessing the built in Stereo Reverb and Twin Tracker.

Please let me know if this helps to answer your questions and if you have any others, don't hesitate to let me know!

Good morning @Junk Yard Dog

Ross from Two notes here. Thanks for getting in touch. Both options will certainly work!

The C.A.B. M+ can be placed in-between your Amplifier and Cabinet following the connectivity outlined in the link below...
https://wiki.two-notes.com/lib/exe/detail.php?id=torpedo_cab_mplus:torpedo_c.a.b._mplus_user_s_manual&media=torpedo_cab_m:loadboxcase.png

However, if you need a degree of attenuation for your amplifier, the Captor X would be the better solution thanks to two attenuation settings built into the unit. In addition, there is the added benefit of sending a Stereo Feed via the dual XLR outputs and harnessing the built in Stereo Reverb and Twin Tracker.

Please let me know if this helps to answer your questions and if you have any others, don't hesitate to let me know!
Hi @RossJohnDavies thank you for the reply and info. Since I'm so new to using IRs, can I do this without monitors and just on a laptop with headphones?

I am looking at the manual for the Captor X and do not see where it shows me how to:
1) set it up at home with my laptop to create the patches;
2) set it up when playing live on stage with a cab, no mic, signal direct to FOH?

For the Twin Tracker to work, do you have to use the dual XLR outputs or can you still get the 'double tracked' sound only using one XLR output to the FOH?

Also, I use a Friedman 2x12 cabinet with a V30/Creamback H75. I want to be able to hear and feel my amp behind me, but also have a similar tone out front. I presume it would not make since to use a very different IR cab setup. So is the idea that I would find a DynIR that matches the cab I have on stage, like maybe a V30/CBH75 4x12 or something?

Again, completely new to this and have already waded through countless videos on YT and thread on forums online. Just trying to keep this simple for a novice.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey @Junk Yard Dog

Thanks for getting back to me and no worries at all - I am happy to help!

You can certainly do this without monitors using the Captor X - however, you wouldn't need to monitor via your laptop - instead you can monitor via the headphone output on the Captor X! The software that you use on your laptop is simply a remote for the DSP on the Captor X so the Laptop produces no sound.

In terms of the setup scenarios you have identified...

1) set it up at home with my laptop to create the patches
- Simply hookup your amp to your Captor X - Speaker out of your amp to the "red nut" input of the Captor X
- Then connect your Captor X to your computer via the supplied USB cable
- Then open Torpedo Remote and you will be able to create your patches which can be saved to the Captor X's internal memory

2) set it up when playing live on stage with a cab, no mic, signal direct to FOH?
Please see this diagram: https://wiki.two-notes.com/lib/exe/...al&media=torpedo_captor_x:cx_foh_monitors.png
In addition, you would need to connect your cabinet to the "SPEAKER OUT" output for the setup scenario you have described.

In terms of the Twin Tracker, this is indeed a Stereo effect and you will need to use both XLR outputs for this to be heard - this cannot be summed to mono due to the nature of the effect itself.

In terms of the IR / DynIR to use, indeed, you will need to find a cab that matches the sound your cabinet produces. I actually have a dual driver cab and I tend select a similar spec cab (2x12) and a driver with the most tonal versatility - arguably, I would select a 2x12 loaded with V30s in your instance - you can then refine the tone with different mic selections and the Custom EQ mode and I am certain this will get you where you want to be. The key here is tweaking and experimentation!

Let me know if this helps and if you need any other advice, I am happy to assist!

Hey @Junk Yard Dog

Thanks for getting back to me and no worries at all - I am happy to help!

You can certainly do this without monitors using the Captor X - however, you wouldn't need to monitor via your laptop - instead you can monitor via the headphone output on the Captor X! The software that you use on your laptop is simply a remote for the DSP on the Captor X so the Laptop produces no sound.

In terms of the setup scenarios you have identified...

- Simply hookup your amp to your Captor X - Speaker out of your amp to the "red nut" input of the Captor X
- Then open Torpedo Remote and you will be able to create your patches which can be saved to the Captor X's internal memory

Please see this diagram: https://wiki.two-notes.com/lib/exe/detail.php?id=torpedo_captor_x:torpedo_captor_x_user_s_manual&media=torpedo_captor_x:cx_foh_monitors.png
In addition, you would need to connect your cabinet to the "SPEAKER OUT" output for the setup scenario you have described.

In terms of the Twin Tracker, this is indeed a Stereo effect and you will need to use both XLR outputs for this to be heard - this cannot be summed to mono due to the nature of the effect itself.

In terms of the IR / DynIR to use, indeed, you will need to find a cab that matches the sound your cabinet produces. I actually have a dual driver cab and I tend select a similar spec cab (2x12) and a driver with the most tonal versatility - arguably, I would select a 2x12 loaded with V30s in your instance - you can then refine the tone with different mic selections and the Custom EQ mode and I am certain this will get you where you want to be. The key here is tweaking and experimentation!

Let me know if this helps and if you need any other advice, I am happy to assist!

Thanks, @RossJohnDavies . I bought a brand new Captor X 8ohm it arrives tomorrow/Saturday. My additional questions below:

-I have an EV ZLX 12" powered speaker at home. Can I plug the Captor X into that so I can hear what it will sound like for FOH, but at my home? If so, do I use the Left or Right XLR out put of the Captor X and put it into the Output of the ZLX? Here's the manual for the ZLX: https://www.soundpro.com/content/product-documents/ZLX-15_ownersmanual.pdf

-I have a Friedman 2x12 on stage behind me with with a V30/Creaback H75 mix. Are the DynIR's included or do I have to purchase those? Might there be one that has a similar speaker mix?

Please see this diagram: https://wiki.two-notes.com/lib/exe/...al&media=torpedo_captor_x:cx_foh_monitors.png
-My cab is 8ohm, so I bought the 8ohm Captor X.
-Do I have to plug in both XLR's: one to mixer and one to a separate monitor? Or, is one XLR to the mixer enough, and sound guy will put the IR into the monitor in front of me if I need it, b/c the sounds is already going to FOH? Or, if I want my IR sound in the monitor in front of me, I have to use the 2nd XLR direct to the monitor?

Thanks, Ross!

Hi @Junk Yard Dog

Thank you for getting back to me. Please see answers to your questions below.

EV ZLX 12"
You most certainly can take one of the XLR outputs and connect it to the input of this PA speaker. I would suggest taking the left output.

DynIRs
In terms of the DynIRs included, there are a good range on the unit and I am confident you will get your sound where you need it with a V30 capture. However, I also think you may be interested in this capture: https://www.two-notes.com/en/product/pt-pt15-signature-2x12/ - note that this can be demo'ed in Torpedo Remote for free so you can try it before adding it to your cab arsenal.

Live Setup
Great - when connecting your amp to the Captor, make sure you use the 8Ω output.
In terms of monitoring, I would suggest sending both XLRs to Front of House and then ask the sound tech to pipe back a foldback mix to your monitor - that way you hear the same tone as the sound going through the main speakers!

Let me know if you need anything else!

Hi @Junk Yard Dog

Thank you for getting back to me. Please see answers to your questions below.

EV ZLX 12"
You most certainly can take one of the XLR outputs and connect it to the input of this PA speaker. I would suggest taking the left output.

DynIRs
In terms of the DynIRs included, there are a good range on the unit and I am confident you will get your sound where you need it with a V30 capture. However, I also think you may be interested in this capture: https://www.two-notes.com/en/product/pt-pt15-signature-2x12/ - note that this can be demo'ed in Torpedo Remote for free so you can try it before adding it to your cab arsenal.

Live Setup
Great - when connecting your amp to the Captor, make sure you use the 8Ω output.
In terms of monitoring, I would suggest sending both XLRs to Front of House and then ask the sound tech to pipe back a foldback mix to your monitor - that way you hear the same tone as the sound going through the main speakers!

Let me know if you need anything else!
@RossJohnDavies - many thanks! Your making this a better experience for me. ...Last question for now: So you recommend always sending BOTH XLR's to FOH for every show setup? What would happen if we were to only send one XLR? ...Sorry, noob questions here. Thanks.

Hey @Junk Yard Dog

No problem at all - I am happy to help! In the instance where you only need to send one output to FoH, I would suggest sending the left output only and you should be set! The right output is heavily effected by the Twin Tracker if engaged and may result in a poor response latency wise as this uses a delay to achieve the effect - however, the left output remains unchanged so you are best using this! Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Back