VST plug-ins vs rack for effects for recording

degenaro":34es85dp said:
Digital Jams":34es85dp said:
Thanks for the tips, my main problem is that sometimes I have a bad habit of getting caught up in things that I should not be sweating about....such as verbs.

H.....nothing polished or will ever be listened to in mass :D

Ed.......I have a Lexicon MPX-1 that has the same power as a PCM 60 and the verbs sound great imo. I also have Plug-ins from Cubase and EMU, the Cubase arre better than the EMU stuff but with my breakout box using the Lexicon is no problem.
Well, that's way on the low end, unless we're talking for guitr and then it won't matter so much.

For me the MPX-1 is highend :D Due to projects this year I have put off the possibility of owning a 2290 or Eclipse.

Digital Jams":2y1zl62e said:
degenaro":2y1zl62e said:
Digital Jams":2y1zl62e said:
Thanks for the tips, my main problem is that sometimes I have a bad habit of getting caught up in things that I should not be sweating about....such as verbs.

H.....nothing polished or will ever be listened to in mass :D

Ed.......I have a Lexicon MPX-1 that has the same power as a PCM 60 and the verbs sound great imo. I also have Plug-ins from Cubase and EMU, the Cubase arre better than the EMU stuff but with my breakout box using the Lexicon is no problem.
Well, that's way on the low end, unless we're talking for guitr and then it won't matter so much.

For me the MPX-1 is highend :D Due to projects this year I have put off the possibility of owning a 2290 or Eclipse.
Well, cash flow not withstanding it sin't high end. Point is for recording there's stuff I would take over the MPX in a NY minute. The 2290 is great for a guitar rig, but other than that I couldn't see myself using it. The Eclipse is a decent midlevel processor, but again, I take software over it. Now if we're talking 480 or H8000 that's a different story.
But other than that I rather use plug-ins.

I hear you and I have also listened to others and have come to the conclusion that the plug-ins that I have and MPX-1 is more than good enough for what I am doing, done chasing that dragon :)

Digital Jams":17pc2ixe said:
I hear you and I have also listened to others and have come to the conclusion that the plug-ins that I have and MPX-1 is more than good enough for what I am doing, done chasing that dragon :)
Eat those words! :D

degenaro":2f12j1ph said:
Kinda depends what is compared to what...UAd stuff, doesn't get much better than that.
Also what hardware are we using for a comparison? Lexicon 480 or TC G Sharp? :)
This ^^^
I got the UAD plug ins, and was stunned by how good they were. You can do anything with Dreamverb, including morphing from one reverb to another using the automated settings. Ceiling height, air density, wall material, floor material, room size, control over all reflections, with or without curtains, and all the normal stuff. I ended up getting 2 of the outboard cards (I could use 3)
All the vintage compressor sims are very good also including a Fairchild, 1176, LA-3A, and LA-2A Teletronix units. My fav thing is the Neve EQ's, they are fantastic.
I have some other plug in stuff, but the UAD stuff kills it

Code001":1jwn7qd7 said:
Slight shift in subject if I may:

Could anybody recommend some nice plug-ins that they use on a regular basis, or are good to have for a recording setup?
Universal Audio, get one of the package deals. I have not heard any plug ins that touch them. Their customer service is excellent
check out their website www.uaudio.com

For what most of us do, plugins are more than enough.
The computer, that is a no brainer.
For under $600 you can build a PC that will rival a $5K +++ Mac
Build a good PC, and get a nice plugin bundle.
Most recording software comes with nice built in plugins that will do everything you need.
Until you go PRO, don't think about all the outboard gear or wasting money on an expensive Mac that is no better than a cheap PC.
Mac is good at marketing and have a lot of suckers buy into it.
YMMV

There are legal free impulses of a Bricasti M7 reverb floating around (search Gearslutz). That paired with KeFIR will grant you all the great reverb sound you could ever want.

Back