VX Module: how do YOU dial it in?

Bucksears

I've had easier time dialing in some Vox-inspired dirt pedals than I have with the VX module. Seems like it is overly bassy and only really 'chimes' when one of the bright switches is on or if I turn the treble past 2 o'clock.

How are you dialing in yours? Any tips?

See attached photo file if not displaying.
This module has a ton of character, and I can't find a pedal that doesn't go well in front of it! But, it can be a little finicky to set up eq.

The segment from about 2:02-2:35 on the sampler track below has somewhere near this Vox setting on B ch with a Tele B-bender I borrowed from a friend. If I recall correctly, I originally had it gained up more with a pedal, but ultimately preferred it straight up for this. I liked how the little Lenny Breau harmonics popped out nicely. Now, I wish I'd mixed the guitar hotter here...

http://hecticwatermelon.net/tracks/dire ... 229129.mp3

Attachments

• IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,349
Wow, haven't seen John on here in a while!
I use your settings for the T/D module, sounds great! You still using the modular setup?

The Vox module is next on my list or maybe the Morgan module from the new Synergy line. I wonder how close the vox module is to the Tweaker's vox ac setting. I ran the Tweaker through the loop of my Mod50 in the AC mode and it sounded great.

Had a bit of an epiphany tonight.

I had been running my 212 cab with the top 1/2 of the back OFF (it's a convertible cab), so for kicks, I sealed it back up/closed-back. BIG difference all around.
I now believe the modular system was designed with that kind of cab in mind. Makes sense as that is how I ran my TM212X cab when I had it.

I was able to dial in the VX closer to where I want it now, but really need to look at retubing the power section.

Lopoline compact 2x12 closed-back cab - Jensen Electric Lightning speakers
GT 6L6CHP power tubes

One of the preamp tubes in the chassis is giving me some problems - I heard static/wind for a while across all four channels.
I'll replace one of those tomorrow night.

Back