Warm welcome from Carol-Ann Custom Amplifiers

Carol-AnnAmps

Hi,

I'd just like to thank Brad and Rig-Talk for hosting a special place for us so folks can chat, ask questions etc.
I usually get actively involved and will do my best to answer anything folks post in here.
Even though I live in New England, I only came here in 2002. I'm actually from Old England, so I apologise in advance for any odd spellings or phrases you may come across.

All the best,
Alan Phillips,
Carol-Ann Custom Amplifiers, LLC
http://www.carolannamps.com

p.s. Not everything we build is for Jazz, fusion or blues.......I know what gain is too ;)

Gain is good!

So explain a little about the Revo.....

The word is that it has elements of a Jub Marshall, but I've also heard references to a Wreck and also an SLO.....

ampjunkie":1kcotk9b said:
Gain is good!

So explain a little about the Revo.....

The word is that it has elements of a Jub Marshall, but I've also heard references to a Wreck and also an SLO.....

Hi,

The concept of the Revo 1 was to produce an amp that had some of the tonal qualities and feel that I like in the TW Express, but with a decent eq section, an efx loop aand a master that actually bloody works.

I've worked on quite a few of Kennys (RIP) amps and I've even built giggable tonal models for a 4 actual TW owners. I love how that amps responds to the guitar volume control and cleans up so well, it's very nice balance of preamp vs power power amp overdrive. That amp when it was released was incredible (and in many ways always will be), but today in most gigging stituations it's difficult to play an amp like that at the volume where it does it's thing well. Even at 35W, these amps are too loud for many situations. I know tons of guys on here use walls of 4x12's....hell I have 8 of them myself....but the reality is there are very few places a working band plays these days that allows you to run a huge setup at its best. Nothing is more irritating than a club owner or sound guy on your arse to turn down.
So what I wanted was a modern day equivalent that had a master volume that actually worked really well and kept the full frrequency response intact throught it's range as much as possible.

The Jubilee is quite a fascinating amp and if you start tearing back its inherent fizziness and inability to clean up well actually holds some very cool design concepts. The eq section for a start is one of the best I've come across. Also....lol.....the diode clipping section is actually quite brilliant. I know that will cause disruption with the 'it can only be tubes' brigade....but thats usually due to technical naivety. Ironically some of the same people who argue diode clipping sucks spend $400 on a boutique OD with.....diode clipping....go figure ....! Anyway the jub has it's clipping section located after the first preamp section and the results are very different to having a clipping circuit between the guitar and the amp. The other thing that works well is the serial efx loop, because of it's location in the gain staging, it doesn't require serious attenuation and re-amplification...so the noise floor is kept low and the dynamic range preserved.

So the Revo is connected to both these amps but sounds exactly like neither in particular. It has a similar available gain level to the Jubilee, but zero fizziness, it's not directional, so its not a barage of high end if you stand in front of the cab. It has superb dynamic range and a very low noise floor and a balanced harmonic spread like you find with the TW Express.

Like everything I build, it doesn't hide anything. If you are playing well, it's yoiur best friend, if you suck it sticks a finger in your face. It only strokes your ego if you can play well.....lol...

Not sure where the SLO comparison comes in....it's smoother and less brash and rude than an SLO and doesn't have quite that amount of preamp gain.,,,maybe because I've mentioned some of my inspired tones for the amp came from Gary Moores work in the late 80's / early 90's and part of that timeframe he was using an SLO....he also used a JTM-45 too...so who knows.,..

Anyway, a very fun amp to play and very easy to lose track of time with.

I'm gigging one tonight and we play everything from Country Rock to Rage.

Hope that helps.

Quick Edit: The Revo is available as 50W or 100W, both are very loud if you want them to be and feature oversized transformers and a high definition power supply circuit that tracks even the fastest pasages really well.

See I don't see the Jub as fizzy.... it is at lower volumes, for sure.

Is Joe's Jub stock? I wouldn't characterize his Jub tones as fizzy. His tone is way more 'woody' sounding than Slash, another Jub user. (May be the blending of amps that does that...)

ampjunkie":3aiz8s0f said:
See I don't see the Jub as fizzy.... it is at lower volumes, for sure.

Is Joe's Jub stock? I wouldn't characterize his Jub tones as fizzy. His tone is way more 'woody' sounding than Slash, another Jub user. (May be the blending of amps that does that...)

Agreed, it is at low volumes, thats exactly what I was referring to. If you crank it and back off the preamp a bit, it's great, but that tone comes at a price of a lot of volume.

Joe has his Jub cranked...Joe has all his amps cranked. He runs the CA JB-100 at 8 on the masters, it's putting out well in excess of 100W at that level. He uses a plexi-glass sheild in front of the cabs in order to not destroy the first 10 rows of people. His stage volume is bloody loud though, (but greeeat !!). The shield makes a big difference however . Two 100W amps cranked through 4 EVM-12Ls !!

The other thing you need to consider is that there is quite a wide varaince of tone amongst the Jubs. Some sound great, some leave you cold. Joes are very good sounding. The best one I've heard of Joes is a Canadian export model. Even though he hasn't tubed it in a while...lol....it still sounds great.

Welcome brother Alan!!! It's wonderful to have you here, looking forward to hanging out again at the NY Amp Show like we did last year (lots of fun! lol).

All my best my friend :)
Trace

voodooamps":30yespkk said:
Welcome brother Alan!!! It's wonderful to have you here, looking forward to hanging out again at the NY Amp Show like we did last year (lots of fun! lol).

All my best my friend :)
Trace

Thanks Trace. Look forward to it. We'll have to arrange to get next door again. That worked out well.

Welcome aboard Alan. You mentioned you would be going down to Tone merchants next week. What day are you going down?

Carol-AnnAmps":16vy12za said:
MARK1970":16vy12za said:
Welcome aboard Alan. You mentioned you would be going down to Tone merchants next week. What day are you going down?

Wednesday.
Cool, maybe I will see you there. HOpefully you make it out to one of the shows at Tone Merchants.

proud carol ann od2 100 owner here. soon to be a proud owner of a revo 100. and i've got my fingers crossed for an od100 after that!

looking forward to discussing all things carol ann.

hey alan, saw the new youtube vids. prince might be my favorite. love the tone on all three. what amp are you using in those vids?

fritferret":3jv6pp57 said:
hey alan, saw the new youtube vids. prince might be my favorite. love the tone on all three. what amp are you using in those vids?

Marshal TSL 100W 2x12 combo, you can see it behind me in the vid. I just used the clean channel and pedalled it with a Boss OS-2 I modded and a stock TS808. It was a 2 show fly in gig in England and a borrowed amp. The night before I used a bright orange '73 100W SL, but it had some major issues....like still had original tubes in it. Sounded like ass.

I did another recent fly in gig in the UK and took a CA JB-100 with me this time. Used a Marshall 1922 2x12 cab loaded with old 12T75's. Sounded great.

aldave.jpg

The Tucana, Revo, and OD2 have me intrigued. Hope to hear some higher gain clips and learn more about them here. :thumbsup:

Carol-AnnAmps":2d5g3od8 said:
ampjunkie":2d5g3od8 said:
Anyway, a very fun amp to play and very easy to lose track

Great description Alan !!! you're on to something...LOL !!!

Changing tones from Country to Rage must require some tweaking...
I'm wondering if you're gonna come up with a Revo 2 channels eventually to facilitate
Live playing ?

joebob":vh726rfn said:
Carol-AnnAmps":vh726rfn said:
ampjunkie":vh726rfn said:
Anyway, a very fun amp to play and very easy to lose track

Great description Alan !!! you're on to something...LOL !!!

Changing tones from Country to Rage must require some tweaking...
I'm wondering if you're gonna come up with a Revo 2 channels eventually to facilitate
Live playing ?

Sometimes just plugging in to one amp with very little else except the guitars volume control gives you a sense of freedom and expressiveness that no multi-channel amp every can. It's like driving a classic 60's sports car. The Revo can cover a lot of territory, but it shines in the medium gain ultra-dyanmic type rock tones. To get to the Rage tones I must confess I do step on an 808.

The Revo 2 actually is a model that will hit the Dealers in April. It probably wont appeal to too many on this site unless they want a very warm single channel clean amp with reverb. It's the compliment amp to Revo 1. Some guys like the 2 amp setup, but each is totally useable on it's own. It all depends on styles and what someone is looking for.

However, we have on the drawing board something that will appeal to a few on here. A three channel hand built Rock amp that will cover right up to the higher gains. My friend Jim Harper has been on my ass to build this amp for 4 years now and I finally decided to do it. As I've said a few times before, I'm not in to the ultra compressed, ultra gain thing.......but you can expect something that will get a little past SLO gain levels on the third channel. Dynamic range is a common demoninator with all amps I build. They don't hide anything, this amp will be the same. This is a blessing and a curse, but I wouldn't ever change that about them. An amp is as instrument too.

Back