Weird Question about M4 Chassis tubes

On mine, the top one is labelled "12AT7" and the bottom one says "12AX7". As I recall, mine came with 12AX7WA's in both slots, and I liked it a lot better once I put a 12AT7 in the top one.

The bottom one would be "V1" or the input tube that feeds all channels. The top one is a unity gain output buffer. I'm surprised you would hear a difference in the top slot between the AX7 and the AT7.

Thanks, Bruce...that is good to know! I actually swapped out both 12AX7WA's that came stock, so it is most likely that the replacement in V1 is what made it better for me.

On mine the top is labeled AT7 and the bottom AX7 and I currently have it set up this way. Bruce are you saying I may actually be better of to reverse them? I'm confused :confused:

Bruce you had said this in another post.

"The top one is the input tube that is common to all the channels. The equivalent of V1 in a "normal" amp. The other tube is the output buffer that is also common to all channels but does not provide any gain."

I'm wondering if you mixed em up in this thread?

stevekroeker":q88hp6dx said:
Bruce you had said this in another post.

"The top one is the input tube that is common to all the channels. The equivalent of V1 in a "normal" amp. The other tube is the output buffer that is also common to all channels but does not provide any gain."

I'm wondering if you mixed em up in this thread?

Haha, sometimes he goes a little nuts. The answer in this thread is correct though. The bottom tube is the input tube.

Back