What’s your favorite speaker to pair with V30’s?

I really like the combo with v30s of either blackback style speakers and vented 75s.

25w Greenbacks with v30s, imo they just get overpowered and disappear a bit

K100s sound great by themselves, but I don't care for the combination

That’s what I’m hearing in the redback recordings online, but not discounting them because you never really know until you try it. Creamback 75s are kind of at the top of the running right now but also looking at some of the heritage H mag speakers

I avoided Redbacks for a long time based on me thinking they’d be too dark….from listening to YouTube speakers. I have 4 in a Wizard cab and it’s definitely my favorite….usurping the title from the same cab with v30/H75.

I’ve never found a speaker I really like in an X pattern with V30’s. But in a horizontal 2x12 and top/bottom 4x12, I’ve had some good mixes. I’m a speaker whore and currently have 43 raw frame speakers piled up in my garage……..Celestion, Eminence, Scumback, WGS, Jensen, and Weber. And those are just the ones I can’t sell.

In a 2x12, my favorites were pairing it with a Lynchback or Creamback 65.

Probably going to get a lot of WTF’s here…..but In a top/bottom4x12, I love the Neo Creamback top with Mesa V30 bottom. I have 2 cabs with that. One 1960a and a 1960b. Check out Zilla cabs mixing those on YouTube.

If I had to go X pattern, then it would be the Jensen Nighthawk/V30. They are identical in dB and fill out each others shortcomings perfectly when far out in front. But I just don’t like the variation when standing on one side of cab in close proximity.

Lots of in between, but what sounded like shit to me were Redbacks (hate that speaker) and G12-65’s (both vintage and modern Heritage).

ive been thinking i need to do some new speaker comparison clips to see if my tastes have changed at all, ill have to try some mixes when i do

I’ve never found a speaker I really like in an X pattern with V30’s. But in a horizontal 2x12 and top/bottom 4x12, I’ve had some good mixes. I’m a speaker whore and currently have 43 raw frame speakers piled up in my garage……..Celestion, Eminence, Scumback, WGS, Jensen, and Weber. And those are just the ones I can’t sell.

In a 2x12, my favorites were pairing it with a Lynchback or Creamback 65.

Probably going to get a lot of WTF’s here…..but In a top/bottom4x12, I love the Neo Creamback top with Mesa V30 bottom. I have 2 cabs with that. One 1960a and a 1960b. Check out Zilla cabs mixing those on YouTube.

If I had to go X pattern, then it would be the Jensen Nighthawk/V30. They are identical in dB and fill out each others shortcomings perfectly when far out in front. But I just don’t like the variation when standing on one side of cab in close proximity.

Lots of in between, but what sounded like shit to me were Redbacks (hate that speaker) and G12-65’s (both vintage and modern Heritage).
Damn, that’s a lot of speakers piled up in your garage!

Thanks for those recommendations, I’ll eventually have to try them out. Can you describe what you didn’t like about the Redbacks and G12-65s? The Celestion IRs I have of the Redbacks are awfully dark—interested if you felt the same?

Damn, that’s a lot of speakers piled up in your garage!

Thanks for those recommendations, I’ll eventually have to try them out. Can you describe what you didn’t like about the Redbacks and G12-65s? The Celestion IRs I have of the Redbacks are awfully dark—interested if you felt the same?
That’s exactly it. The RB’s are too dark and kind of bloated in low mids for me. Tried a single in an oversized, ported 1x12 and also a pair in various configurations.

I’ve never liked the G12-65’s even with the amps they were intended for. My ears don’t get along with their nasal honk. They are better cranked, but I only play at home these days.

V-30 / M65 Creamback.

To my ear anyway, the 75 Watt Creamback has more smoothness and more of that high end sizzle that the V30 already has covered. But the M65 brings some of the woodier low-mid that really fills out the V-30.

Last edited:
H30s when blending for recording. Over the years I've found that I never stick with combining speakers in a single cabinet. Just inconsistent depending on where you stand, and you're only getting one mic at most gigs anyway.

Back