What Exactly Does EG3/4 Sound Like?

EWSEthan

Hello all,

I found this forum by accident as I usually hang at the MTS Grailtone Forum but Im glad I did!

Im really wondering if anyone can accurately describe what the EG3/4 module sounds like. From what I recall reading, the EG3/4 is based on channels 3 and 4 of the TOL and IE4 and is Bruce's tweaked high gain Marshall preamps. Is this true?

If so, how is that different from the SL2 module?

Can someone perhaps give some example bands/tones?

Im looking for a hot, thick, juicy, not overly bright marshally high gain module that does both rhythm and lead. Already have an MHG so Im looking for this to be a little different.

Thanks,
Matt

Matt my take on the 3/4 is just as you stated. Desgined after his orginal IE 4 pre amp channels 3 and 4. I really like it due to its darker and somewhat less aggressive tone. Now the SL2 and SL2+ are huge, thick and just variance of gain, more like the ultimate hot rodded Marshall. The SL2+ was unreal when I played it, both quite and when moving air! Mctallica1 here on RT has an SL2+ and it is his favorite module. It is my second favorite to the COD.

tube,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately Ive never played a TOL so Im not sure exactly how channels 3 and 4 sound. When I hear darker marshall I think Bogner type tone. Is that what we're talking about whereas SL2 is more straight up heavy Marshall?

-Matt

No not really channel 3 is say Van Halen type marshall 4 is a more aggressive and more gain. His early stuff is very balanced...all controls at 12:00 and it sounds really good. I would say it is Bruce's take on Marshall, where the SL and SL2 are another version but 12 years later. Bruce will chime in soon I am sure of it!

HI there. First time I've ever posted on any forum here . . .

Played the M4 for the first time with the band yesterday using the MHG & the EG3/4 modules. I would say the difference is the EG3/4 has a bit more midrange punch than the MHG.

The EG3/4 seemed to cut through and have a little more presence or clarity than the MHG. As for lead tones I didn't use the 3/4 yet but the MHG sounded sweet!!

From your description it sounds like the EG3/4 could work.

Hello Matt,
I have an SL2 dual module. Channel one can go from 69 plexi to jcm 800 really well. It is fat and and mid heavy (with a great punch) to my ears. I have the gain set at 2:00 o,clock and it sounds like the '69 handwired Plexi (with PPIMV dimed) kit that I built from Metroamp.com. Awesome rock tone, I could stay on this channel all night. Channel two, to me sounds like VH 1. with the gain set at about 2:00 o'clock, tones set at 2:00 o'clock as well. Ain't takin' bout love to the tee!
This modual is a keeper. I'd also like the SL module for some lower gain Marshall type tones.
For reference sake, I use an Ibanez RG Prestige into M4>>Effects>>VHT 2/50 power>> Handwired Marshall Cab with Celestion Heritage G12h 30's , (55 hz)

Cheers,
Pete

Like I said above, in my humble opinion the SL2 does '69 and up. So in other words some of the more agressive Marshall circuits. I think the SL does some of the lower gain less agressive circuits like the JTM 45/100 and up to '68.

Circuit wise though , it would be interesting to hear Bruces take on the whole thing as he's has had his head under the hood of a few Marshalls in his day.
They are both phenominal sounding modules, a must in your collection.

Pete

Thats some great information Peter. I was leaning towards EG3/4 but now Im not sure! Thanks for sharing.

-Matt

The SL2 and EG3/4 both have JCM800 tone stacks. Both have similar gain. The EG3/4 is darker/smoother which is excellent for high gain solos. Both of course have all the high end you need but not the piercing cut your head of highs. Because the EG3/4 is inherently darker, you may tend to turn the treble up a little higher which results in more midrange. Again excellent for single note solo stuff but not great for a scooped, more modern sound. The SL2 is probably a little more "classic Marshall-like" while the EG3/4 is a more 'browned out" Marshall.

:|::QBB:
bruce egnater":bb749 said:
The SL2 is probably a little more "classic Marshall-like" while the EG3/4 is a more 'browned out" Marshall.

Thanks a lot for posting this stuff Bruce!

FWIW, I think the above part is the best description I have seen/heard.

I LOOOOOOVE the SL2 module for high gain Marshall tones. It gets the thrashy Marshall tone I have been looking for for quite a while.

Right now, I am running the SL2 and E Rect in my MOD50 with JJ el34's. I did, however just buy a matched pair of RFT el34's that I can't wait to stick in and try out! Also jus tswitched v1 pre to a RFT 12ax7. Added some smooth midrange to the whole shebang.

Can't wait to get the gnater version of the Randall Ulta XL that Bruce is working on now....THAT wil be my Dime tone in spades :thumbsup:

All in all, I just can't say enough good things about these amps!

Thanks very much everyone! The EG3/4 sounds probably more like what Im looking for. One final question: Are the EG3 and 4 EQed at all differently or is the difference between the 2 channels just more gain on tap?

Thanks,
Matt

Back