What's Cooking?

This is whats cooking bitches.

Attachments

• cook.jpg
    cook.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 61
We bought dehydrator today. Gonna try making some jerky. Anyone use these?

Yes we have and we have done a ton. We will freeze the steak then pull it out as it makes it easier to cut into thin strips. We have used a variety of cuts but flank is very good. Basic marinades that aren’t too salty do the trick.

I know right? Bought a cheap steak. Like 5 bucks. Gonna marinade it. Bag of jerky is like 8 bucks for 1 pound

I've never made jerky with a dehydrator, but I've done it several times in my smoker. I have a gas smoker, so the wood chunks serve more for smoke than as a source of heat, and I can keep the temp around 130 degrees, which is comparable to what a lot of dehydrators run. The natural convection of the smoker keeps the air flowing. You can marinate or even just dry rub (giggity) the strips, and the smoker does the rest. It's also less messy than a dehydrator.

I've never made jerky with a dehydrator, but I've done it several times in my smoker. I have a gas smoker, so the wood chunks serve more for smoke than as a source of heat, and I can keep the temp around 130 degrees, which is comparable to what a lot of dehydrators run. The natural convection of the smoker keeps the air flowing. You can marinate or even just dry rub (giggity) the strips, and the smoker does the rest. It's also less messy than a dehydrator.
This is how I do it as well. I cold smoke my trout the same way during trout season.

Homemade potato pizza. Crust is my 4 day cold proof made with a biga starter. "sauce" is garlic infused olive oil. Cheese is mozzarella, smoked provolone and a touch of Romano. Toppings are potato, bacon and caramelized onion. Seasoned with a bit of rosemary and Calabrian chili.

sD01wUr.jpg

Any prep to the potato slices or do you cut them thin enough that they cook 100% on the pie?
Those were blanched. I cook pizza on really high heat on steel plates. The crust would burn before the potatoes would finish if you went raw. The whole pizza cooks in 4-5 minutes, so just not enough time for the potatoes to soften enough (for me).

Homemade potato pizza. Crust is my 4 day cold proof made with a biga starter. "sauce" is garlic infused olive oil. Cheese is mozzarella, smoked provolone and a touch of Romano. Toppings are potato, bacon and caramelized onion. Seasoned with a bit of rosemary and Calabrian chili.

sD01wUr.jpg

Add some bacon, green onion and a few dollops of sour cream and we call that a perogi pizza here up North.

Roasted grouper and tempura shrimp with a teryaki/sriracha drizzle and some baby bok choy sauteed in sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, garlic, and ginger.

66-DCDB35-C681-44-F8-AF56-3-C92-C83-C5488.jpg

Back