What's the difference between the new and old Wizard OT's?

Metalhead

Don't know the difference in tone or effect and I'm trying to decide which to buy. I've heard the new transformers give the amp more gain and the ability to get a great tone at lower volumes. Is this true?

No, that's not right. Rick did a lot of R&D with the trannies and settled on the one he is presently using. He calls it the "C" transformer. The "older" one as you put it may be the "A" transformer which is darker sounding. Both sound great .

johnnyjellybean":2flko4xi said:
No, that's not right. Rick did a lot of R&D with the trannies and settled on the one he is presently using. He calls it the "C" transformer. The "older" one as you put it may be the "A" transformer which is darker sounding. Both sound great .

How old and new are we talking?

I'm not certain that old and new are the correct terminolgy here. It was Metalhead who called them that. Rick would have to answer that one. What I know is that he had 3 different trannies , called them A, B & C and landed up settling on the C. I own amps with both and my preference tends to lean toward the darker "A" trannie but my other amp with the "C" trannie sounds amazing too............ Just a little different

OK, so no gain difference, just the new one sounds darker and the new one sounds brighter? You were right. Never should've traded my Wizard for the Modena. Live and learn, took me months to sell that damn thing!

I don't know. Rick sent Greazygeo one to swap out in his MC. George told me Rick told him the new one has tighter bass and I believe a couple of other differences. Maybe check with George.

Hi Folks,
I've got a MC50 it's about 2 1/2 years old (I think), what tranny would this have it?? Is there any external way to tell which one it is? Thanks a lot for any info.
Cheers,
Ben

BAN-ONE":230ysi18 said:
Hi Folks,
I've got a MC50 it's about 2 1/2 years old (I think), what tranny would this have it?? Is there any external way to tell which one it is? Thanks a lot for any info.
Cheers,
Ben
If you like the amp, what's the difference? The letter is marked at the end of the part #.

Thanks Johnny, don't get me wrong, I freaking love my amp... It's the best tone I've ever had easily... Just a matter of interest that's all.
If only I could get a Wizard 2x12 with Rock 20's down here in Oz.

What exactly is the difference? The "C" is just brighter than the"A"? Josh posted the "C" has a bigger bottom and more low mid growl. I checked mine and it is an "A". I would prefer more bottom and low mid growl. I don't know about brighter. I also notice, and have been told by others, the Wizard MC ghost notes a little with the volume around four. I would imagine this has nothing to do with the Tranny and more with the power filtering. Not that it is a bad thing. There's a fine line between under and over filtering. If I had to chose under or over, I would take a little under for the "feel". I'm sure this is part of what makes the amp sound so good. I am very happy with my amp, but I am always looking for upgrades in tone.

thegame":2vsu6h02 said:
Lots of talk about the 'A' and 'C' transformers. What about the 'B' transformer ?
Maybe Rick will shed some light on the R&D he did with the different trannies he designed.

Back