What’s it worth? Marshall Slash AFD

1meanplexi

Hey Crew!

Been a while since posting here. Still a resident lurker though.

I have in my position a Slash AFD limited edition Marshall. The seller has a number in mind but I honestly do not know what a fair price/offer would be. They are ALL over the map on Reverb. I know Reverb is not an accurate source but it’s something.

For those that have an idea on this, My hope is you can give me a starting point on what a fair number would be. The amp is in perfect condition and sounds incredible.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 86F10444-21AF-4299-B2DD-532475E7EB99.jpeg
    86F10444-21AF-4299-B2DD-532475E7EB99.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 60
  • 3BAF5317-81B4-4239-8BF0-A16A3B967DFC.jpeg
    3BAF5317-81B4-4239-8BF0-A16A3B967DFC.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 58
  • 5820622F-F7E9-46F5-B8F5-DE29900E038B.jpeg
    5820622F-F7E9-46F5-B8F5-DE29900E038B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 51
In this market things are crazy as you know. There arent many that come up for sale but I think $3k is probably the range. If you get it under $2800 thats a deal.

I can be way off on these though. I havent seen one for a while. The older slash is about $2600 for a deal and 2800-3000 fair.

In this market, as limited as they were I’d say 3K would be a steal. Far more limited than the 96 Slash 2555, simply because they made the 2555 from 87-90 and there are thousands of them.
Now, personally I’m not a fan of that amp as much as other Marshall’s. I found the KK Marshall a better sounding amp.
But that’s me. The AFD is on the thin side.

That's a KILLER Marshall.
Never been about signature gear, but
that one is actually better then Slash.,
WTF?.. yep.

It can get loud ass hell and hold together
with that raw bad ass Marshall midrange
bandwidth & MEATY-butchering high's.
I don't pay too much attention to the lows,
Me and the bass guitar player already own
that punchy portion of the mix.

Seriously though,that's a sweet amp.

A low price on a player grade one of these today is $3000. It's reasonable for sellers to ask closer to $4000 for player grade in excellent condition, and up to $5000 for collector's condition.

Since this was a limited edition that came with accoutrements, having those included will also up the price. Seems the hardest accoutrement to come across is the t-shirt.

In this market, as limited as they were I’d say 3K would be a steal. Far more limited than the 96 Slash 2555, simply because they made the 2555 from 87-90 and there are thousands of them.
Now, personally I’m not a fan of that amp as much as other Marshall’s. I found the KK Marshall a better sounding amp.
But that’s me. The AFD is on the thin side.
Agreed. Wasn’t that impressed with it. I remember it being thin, bright, kinda scrappy sounding. There are much better sounding Marshall’s out there imo. I think these were under $2k back when I tried it, but I know that’s totally irreverent to what they’ll go for now

I just ran the numbers from the Reverb data:
  • Average price of the last 10 AFD 100's that have been sold: $3,337
  • 1 Year High: $5800
  • 1 Year Low: $2000
  • NOTE: I don't know what accoutrements came with any of these. As I said, having the booklet, cover, box, t-shirt, footswitch, etc. will all increase the value.
I think my comment was a fair assessment: $3000-3500 for a normal player grade; $3500-4000 for a superior player grade; $4000+ for a collector's condition (to be clear, by "collector's condition" I mean effectively NOS condition that's been sitting in storage for a decade).

Agreed. Wasn’t that impressed with it. I remember it being thin, bright, kinda scrappy sounding. There are much better sounding Marshall’s out there imo. I think these were under $2k back when I tried it, but I know that’s totally irreverent to what they’ll go for now
I had the Signed one and had the same impression. Played a few times and could get rid of it fast enough,

I had the Signed one and had the same impression. Played a few times and could get rid of it fast enough,
It's a very finicky amp for sure. Some days and with some guitars it sounds amazing and other days with other guitars it sounds terrible. I've unlocked a few secrets that might be helpful to people here.

First, it sounds best with a guitar that has Alinco II and/or low-output humbuckers. The amp has a lot of treble and presence and those kinds of humbuckers help smooth it out. You also really need to get the master up to get it to sound its best.

Second, you have to use the right settings. I use my same Jubilee settings on it and it sounds pretty good:
Power: Full
Presence: 2.5
Bass: 8
Mids: 6
Treble: 4

Then I set...
Master: 6
Gain: 6
Mode: AFD

Third, I think this amp is set up to be used like Slash uses his live amps. That is, his "core" sound is around 6-7 on his volume control. He rolls the volume up to 10 for leads and then down to 2-3 for cleans. So I'd recommend you do the same. Try the settings above at around 6-7 on your volume pot then boost/cut as necessary. Only thing that sucks about this is if you have a treble bleed it will be too bright.

Fourth is something I just had to come to terms with: Slash doesn't have a "ballsy" tone. His tone is actually pretty thin and scratchy with a lot of upper mids. It sounds weak on its own but much better in a mix. That's just "the sound" for him and this amp replicates that. So even if you're a huge Slash fan, you might come to the realization that you don't like his tone via this amp.

Hope that helps!

In this market things are crazy as you know. There arent many that come up for sale but I think $3k is probably the range. If you get it under $2800 thats a deal.

I can be way off on these though. I havent seen one for a while. The older slash is about $2600 for a deal and 2800-3000 fair.
I think I sold my Marshall YJM100 for $2650 plus shipping on Ebay. It came out with the AFD and if I remember correctly they made only 1500 of each amp.

They were $2500 new, but some dealers sold them for less. The economy had really tanked at the time Marshall released the YJM and AFD so sales were slower than anticipated and they both retailed for $2500. I got my YJM100 for $1800 new in the box due to that.

I've seen some locally where i am go for around $2500-$3000 in the last few years. There are so scarce that it is hard to draw conclusion on average but i am not sure it i'd value it at more than $3500 at this point (merely for collector value purposes)

Based on scarcety, $3-4k.
Based on tone, $1k
The Slash AFD tone is indeed thin and scratchy.
It works for Slash in a classic rock band mix, but it's an acquired taste for sure.
A beefy sounding guitar with darker low output pickups is a must, as stated above.

board1_large.jpg

Not to mention the Marshall afd project amp is completely different than the 80's LA SIR Frank Levi amps.
Frank said he was "disappointed" Marshall didn't reach out to him in any way for his comment or input during the project.
And in the AFD Marshall promo videos with Santiago Alverez & Saul, Slash couldn't even remember the amps he used at SIR even after Santiago told him. Slash's reply "i dispute that" LOL.
Kids don't do smack.

Anybody that wants one of these for $3500 - $4k in decent shape including footswitch, cover, book, and cert PM me lol

Back