When did Soldano switch the SLO-100 over to D.C. Heaters ?

Sodlano never switched. B.A.D. did.
I was just watching an interview with Mike where he said it was his design decision which he implemented when B.A.D. took over production.

:unsure:

The break in production allowed him time to made the circuit board changes.

BTW

The caps are CDE716p Polypropylene Orange Drop like I said before

IMG_1081_web.jpg

I was just watching an interview with Mike where he said it was his design decision which he implemented when B.A.D. took over production.

:unsure:

The break in production allowed him time to made the circuit board changes.

I heard that interview. I have some doubts that he couldn't do that before. I read other interviews he did long before where he said he wouldn't ever change a thing because the amp was exactly how he wanted it to be and there was no reason to fix something that was not broken. He changed his mind obviously.

I heard that interview. I have some doubts that he couldn't do that before. I read other interviews he did long before where he said he wouldn't ever change a thing because the amp was exactly how he wanted it to be and there was no reason to fix something that was not broken. He changed his mind obviously.
My BE-50 clone uses DC heaters.

My understanding was that all the hi-gain designs benefit from it, but I've also heard opinions to the contrary.

Mike's statement about the drop-off in 12AX7 quality over the decades did make a helluva lotta sense though.

My BE-50 clone uses DC heaters.

My understanding was that all the hi-gain designs benefit from it, but I've also heard opinions to the contrary.

Mike's statement about the drop-off in 12AX7 quality over the decades did make a helluva lotta sense though.

A boat load of noise comes from the sides of the PT (the sides with the laminates, not the coil/bell ends) If you have those laminate sides facing front to back your guitar pickups will pickup that noise. If you have the laminates facing left to right it beams into the OT, and rest of the circuitry.

Some people put the PT at an angle. Maybe a toroidal would be a viable option. I have not used them much, so I don't know how much better they would be.

I fought with noise issues with SLO builds. I'll reiterate, the best I ever came to reducing the noise was fully shielding the input jack.
DC heaters, and Elevated heaters did jack.

I just notice the new SLO the OT is re-oriented. I bet this has a more profound effect at reducing noise.

The old one had the laminates aligned with the PT. With the OT Turned now it should be much less coupled with the PT.

BTW

The caps are CDE716p Polypropylene Orange Drop like I said before

IMG_1081_web.jpg

Some are 716p, some are 225p, some are another kind. Pre-BAD amps had a totally other kind of cap/dielectric. Resistors have stayed the same over the years it seems. My guess is it has to do with availability of caps and/or whatever BAD uses because they probably have vendor deals. Electrolytic have changed too.

As far as noise goes, I never had any issues. /shrug

Back